Buying mesquite on Ebay

My advice to anyone considering this is DON'T...unless you know mesquite and what 'highly figured' and 'burl' and 'excellent quality' are as they relate to mesquite. Every so often I peruse the listings just to see what's out there... and most of it is very run of the mill, unfancy material, especially the pen blanks (there are exceptions, of course). I've sent three or four sellers a little note explaining that they're misrepresenting what they have, probably because they just don't know any better. No responses that I recall, but one seller did change their wording. :)

Along the same lines, I've told several folks to never buy mesquite mail order unless you KNOW who you're dealing with, and they know what you expect. There's still no consistency in the way it's graded, and there are just a whole lot of people out there with a Woodmizer trying to make a bunch of money...and buying a Woodmizer doesn't mean somebody knows how to cut lumber.

That's all... just wanted to contribute something. :wave:

KC

I usually ask to see a couple photos of the wood. In an era of cheap digital cameras, there's no excuse for not being willing to do this. Most of the sellers on the penturners forum are good about posting shots of at least a couple sides of the blanks they offer. I wish more people did.

Cheers,

Kevin

There is a mesquite vendor that is very aggressive and sends e-mails frequently. I automatically delete his. He trolls discussion forums as well. Reportedly, his products are inferior and service unreliable. As always, know who you are dealing with.

Lee,
I get my Mesquite from Chandler hardwoods. 480 802-0429. John Powers is the owner and he has over 60,000 bd.ft. of trees just waiting to be milled up. He kiln dries it after it's cut to size. He does do mail order. Well actually I do have a few turning pieces I harvested my self..;>)