Is it worth it? Shop Fox W1683 20" planer

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Craig's list planer

Been communicating with the owner of this 20" planer. He recently dropped the price from $1500 to $1200. I believe this to be the 4 blade version, not the spiral. Anyone care to offer an opinion? Yes, I know that this unit is available new for under $1700.

Chuck, out of curiosity, is there any real difference between the Jet and the Griz? They look like they both came out of the same mold.

Chuck, out of curiosity, is there any real difference between the Jet and the Griz? They look like they both came out of the same mold.

I don't know Vaughn:dunno: I got a griz 20 in 1995 and love it.:thumb: I just grab the first 2 that I came across for the same'ish money
What I do know IMHO is that the guy way to much for it. It used I don't care if he never took to box off it it's a used tool and I for one will pay no more than 50% of the new price. If I was going to spend 1200 on it I may just as well put in the other 395 and have brand new with a warranty.
Why is the guy selling it? Did it eat a bearing and he's freed it up just enough to sell it off? Is the motor lunched? How much is a new motor when you get it home and find that it is lunched because he didn't have enough juice to run it?

Judging by the other machinery listed he is closing down his shop. I agree, the fox can be had for 1600 new, so 1200 is not a great price. Besides, it's a bit too big for my current shop. I was thinking if it was a good deal I might put up with the loss of space to be ready for when I move to larger surroundings....someday.

$1,200.00 and no warranty is a lot of money to risk.
My rule of thumb for used stuff is 50% of retail if in good condition. No more than $850.00. If he has it marked $1,200.00 now, offer $600.00 and see what happens.

chuck is RIGHT rennie and i also dont see the need for a 20" planer unless you run across a steal somewhere. if i had it to do over again i would get a 20 instead of a 15, but i have ran alot stuff threw the 15" and havnt noticed much need for a 20. just take your time and something that fits you better money wize or space wize will show up..:D