Last Walnut I'll ever turn.

Don Baer

Staff member
My niece is getting married on Sat and asked me to make her a bowl as a wedding present. I had a peice of walnut laying around and ifgured that it would fit the bill. This piece had a history. George Conklin gave it to me. He bought some walnut and when he tried turning it he had an alergic reaction to it so he decided to find a new home for it. He offered it to me so I traded him some eucliptys for it. When I chucked it up the first time and rough turned it then left it in between centers to finish the next day. Well the next day I came out and found it had developed large craks. :eek:
I decided to let it dry out and see what happened, That was 2 years ago.
Fast forward two years. I chucked it up and finished turning it then started sanding it. I quite sanding yesterday planning on finishing today. I woke up this morning with a sever Alergic reaction to the walnut and didn't know what to do. I talk about that problem in this thread. It's to late turn another out of something else so I asked my sone to finish sanding it. Here is the bowl.bowl 1.jpgbowel 2.jpgIt's 8 1/2" x 4.5 " and I stopped at 3/16". I was afraid to go any thinner due to the history of the wood. This is after 10 coats of satin wipe on poly. I wanted to keep th e design simple to not take away from the geat wood.

Looks great Don. Bummer on the allergy. I thought I had a allergy to sycamore but found out it had poison ivy vine that had grown up the trunk. So I am pretty careful to take the bark of most woods with gloves.:(