Retro Restoration....

:huh: There is a vertical pivot where the trailer attaches to the forks. I don't think you can quite get it to 90-degrees, but you certainly can go around corners. Am I misunderstanding? I used to have a winchester trailer for hauling the kids, and I think that one had possibly a more restrictive turning radius, since it hooked up just on the left side of the rear wheel and so you could not turn right sharply

Here, I went digging on Youtube... this guy uses two trailers, and in this video he is doing tight corners in a french back street.

I stand corrected, you are right about this Art. I did not know the pivot point was right behind the back wheel.

The thing is, a case of beer weighs in at 27 KG, or nearly 60 pounds, I want two wheels and the stability of those wheels for this job!

I found a couple of images online here of the type of trailer I see used here.......

electric_bike_trailer.jpg electric_bike_trailer2.jpg

They all attach at the seat post and all are fairly big trailers, I don't want to go that large.

I found a couple of images online here of the type of trailer I see used here.......

View attachment 43285 View attachment 43286

They all attach at the seat post and all are fairly big trailers, I don't want to go that large.

Those are huge!

Those bikes look like they have a bit of a motorized assist on them?

For some reason, I'm imagining that you probably have some pretty good hills around where you live.

That could make for some good exercise with a trailer full of beer. Does your bike have a good granny gear?

Those are huge!

For some reason, I'm imagining that you probably have some pretty good hills around where you live.

That could make for some good exercise with a trailer full of beer. Does your bike have a good granny gear?

We live kind of on top of a hill, the customers that I have to go to daily are basically all on top of the hill too, so it would be mainly a flat route.

Yes, those bicycles are electric assisted, they are becoming very popular here as the population ages and a bicycle is still one of the best ways to get around. I agree the trailer is too large, I would make one the would hold one case of beer and one case of sake, that would be enough for my usual rounds, one customer at a time, but the point in this is to get some exercise :D

Those are huge!

... but the point in this is to get some exercise :D

Fixed gear bike! You will be in great shape in no time at all.:D

I got the rear wheel cleaned up, I also took the cassette apart and really cleaned it, it is nice and shinny now :D I next cleaned and then repacked the bearings.

I had forgotten how putting a seven speed cassette on a bike designed for a 6 speed cassette can cause problems.......

rear_wheel_off_center1.JPG rear_wheel_off_center2.JPG rear_wheel_off_center3.JPG

I need to get a new axle, as the threads on the left side of the axle stop a little short, I cannot move the wheel over towards the cassette to center the wheel better.

I'll have to see if I can get just an axle..... :huh: :dunno:

I got the paint and the special aluminum undercoating, or primer, and two big cans of RED paint :D :thumb:

Aluminum is light stuff......

lite_frame.JPG

......Mind you, it is just the frame, nothing else, no head tube races or anything, just the bare frame, no paint even :rolleyes: but the nakid frame is 1.961 Kg or about 4 1/3 pounds, not bad for a 22 year old bike frame, I think :huh: :dunno:

Sure feels light when I pick it up :thumb:

OK, now I have a problem with the way the rear wheel lines up, it is badly off to the non cassette side of things, this is partially due to me putting on a 7 speed hub, when the bike came with a 6 speed stock, but that is not the only problem.

rear_wheel_offset_1.JPG rear_wheel_offset_2.JPG rear_wheel_offset_3.JPG
Here is the rear wheel mounted (the frame is upside down, you are looking at it from the bottom) as you can see the wheel is way off the center line of the bike, now I rode it like this for years, and it is really not a big problem, or at least I did not have a big problem with it, but the brakes were a pain to get to work well, as one brake shoe had to be way out far and the other had to be right tight against the brake arm.

rear_axle_problem_1.JPG rear_axle_problem_2.JPG
Here is the rear axle, the left side is the cassette side (with a close up)

On the right side, I think you can see that for some reason the threads only go so far, this limits the number of spacers I can put on the non-cassette side of the axle.

rear_axle_problem_3.JPG
and this is the left side, with a ton of spacers.

rear_axle_problem_4.JPG
I'd like to move one spacer to the right side, but if I do that.....

rear_axle_problem_5.JPG
this is the result, I don't have enough axle hanging out of the spacers to register on the frame...... :doh:

I wonder if I can get an axle without this limit :huh:

Off to the bike shop I go :wave:

Hey Stu,

Do you have a bike repair stand? I made a pretty simple one for my project out of a pipe clamp, some pipes, and a little scrap lumber.

b2bm_02_bikeclamp.jpgb2bm_01_bikeclamp.jpg

Just an idea. Took me all of 5 minutes to slap together...

Nice job, good use of the pipe clamp! :clap:

I made one too......

diy_bike_stand.jpg strip_frame.jpg

Using the two piece of pipe, and the clamp, I can rotate the stand to hold the bike in just about any orientation I could want. :thumb:

Next up was seeing if I could save the old Dia-Compe AD-990U-brake......

dia-comp-ad-990.JPG dia-comp-ad-990_parts.JPG
It has seen better days for sure. I could go and buy a whole brand new unit for about $30, but where is the fun in that :dunno: :rolleyes: :D

Some "Before/After" shots......

dia-compe_ad-990_1.JPG dia-compe_ad-990_2.JPG dia-compe_ad-990_3.JPG

dia-compe_ad-990_5.JPG
Shinny! :D

dia-compe_ad-990_clean.JPG
Some parts got cleaned, some were replace, with stainless steel parts! :)

I'll have to paint a bunch of those parts, they will rust on my fairly quickly if I don't, I guess that is a job for tomorrow, lots of tape and cutting to keep the bits that DON'T need paint that way.

The next thing I need is a new set of shifters, I want something like these......
deore_xt_shifters.JPG

I hope to get started on painting the frame tomorrow too!

Cheers!

OK, now I have a problem with the way the rear wheel lines up, it is badly off to the non cassette side of things, this is partially due to me putting on a 7 speed hub, when the bike came with a 6 speed stock, but that is not the only problem.

Hey Stu you can fix that offset by readjusting the spokes. Mine was also a 6 speed one and I changed to 7 without much problem. I took me a whole afternoon to loosen the spokes and adjust them so that the wheel would remain centered. No problems with the brakes and even less with the gear shift.

Last edited:
I'm an idiot :doh:

Yep, the axle was backwards :eek:

What I could not get my head around was that the only way to tighten or loosen the cups is to remove the cassette, that just seemed odd to me.

wheel_lined_up_1.JPG wheel_lined_up_2.JPG

It is now lined up really well.:rolleyes::D

Yesterday, I cleaned up the "U-brake".

dia-comp-ad-990.JPG

dia-comp-ad-990_parts.JPG
Here is the brake all in pieces, some of the parts are rather furry :eek:

dia-compe_ad-990_1.JPG dia-compe_ad-990_2.JPG dia-compe_ad-990_3.JPG
Here are some of the parts in "Before and After" mode :D

dia-compe_ad-990_5.JPG
All cleaned up.

dia-compe_ad-990_clean.JPG
I know I'll have to paint several of these parts, the cleaned steel will rust quickly here in Tokyo, it is usually rather humid here.

After I paint these, I have a few other bits and bobs to paint, then to paint the frame, that is the big job.

We had a wonderful warm sunny day today, so I made up a little stand to hang my frame from and headed to the roof of our building.

ready_for_primer.JPG
Here the frame is ready to put the first coat of the special aluminum primer on

first_coat_primer.JPG
The second coat of primer is done!

first_coat_red.JPG
now getting some red paint on!

second_coat_red.JPG
Second coat of red paint is a go!

3rd_coat_red.JPG
Third coat of red paint is done, just in time, I was losing daylight ! :D

red_frame.JPG
There it is, two coats of primer and three coats of red paint.

Not bad for a rooftop rattle can paint job I figure. The frame is 22 years old, and has some dings on it from use, so the paint job is not perfect, and some of these imperfections show through, and I got one little run, but as luck would have it, it was right under the bottom bracket, no one will ever see it there......... I hope:rolleyes::D

Now I wait for parts, and I am also waiting for the new sticker set to arrive from Vintage Cannondale.

It is coming together.

I still need them shifters, time to head over to E-bay I guess :rolleyes::D

Cheers!