A life passage

Frank Fusco

Yesterday I sold my lodge. For the uninitiated, that is an old style period correct tent. I have come to the conclusion that it is unlikely I will ever be able to use it again and figured I might as well liquidate. Better than sitting on a shelf and rot. My days of reenactment rendezvous are not completely over but they won't be the same. From now on, instead of doing the period correct camping thing I will park my tin teepee (camping trailer) at a designated, out of sight, location and walk into the village. Even that might not happen for a while since I'll be having shoulder surgery soon and my left arm will be out of commission for most of the year. I'm sad about selling the lodge but not bummed. Life changes and I have to accept that, as we all do.

Attachments

• me and lodge.jpg
    me and lodge.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 91
Been doing a lot of this myself lately. Things change. We adapt. The reflection tour trailer left the driveway with new owners last week. Needed the cash more than the trailer.

Frank didn't no they had sun glasses back then.:) To bad ya had to sell but life goes on and time erases all the bad as we bouth no.:thumb:

Actually they did have glasses. The history of eyeglasses goes way-way back in time. While mine are not period correct, folks did wear sorta sunglasses. Mine darken and lighten. Many of the old ones used silver in the glass to darken and protect from bright sun but the difference was they didn't re-lighten. The pair shown has been in my family for many generations and are typical of what was worn. Colored lenses were believed to cure diseases. Different colors for different ailment. These are blue.
Yes, life goes on. It will be different. I'm not happy but accepting. Otherwise I would have stubbornly held on and not sold the lodge. Some of my guns are now up for sale also.

Attachments

• old glasses.jpg
    old glasses.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 31
Things change and life goes on i guess. Selling my 1980 Corvette to help make ends meet while job hunting. :(

Too old and fat for it now anyway :rofl:

I had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder 3 years ago. I was supposed to have it done on my left as well but the recovery is worse than the pain of a bad shoulder IMHO. I'll live with it rather than go through that again.

Last edited:
Frank

Looks as if that part of your life was terrific. I never thought I'd grow old and here I am retired and still short of time.

Interesting lesson on the glasses. Thanks!

Enjoy the tin tent, them campers can be nice when the weather, bugs ect are bad.

Garry

Frank

Looks as if that part of your life was terrific. I never thought I'd grow old and here I am retired and still short of time.

Interesting lesson on the glasses. Thanks!

Enjoy the tin tent, them campers can be nice when the weather, bugs ect are bad.

Garry

Thanks. Nobody is asking the question about the glasses I thought they would. :huh:

Thanks. Nobody is asking the question about the glasses I thought they would. :huh:

Frank
I assume you are talking about the bifocal arrangement, it does look rather unique.
I know that I have heard that Ben Franklin is given credit for inventing bifocals, but I haven't researched how accurate that claim is.

Garry

Even that might not happen for a while since I'll be having shoulder surgery soon and my left arm will be out of commission for most of the year.

Well at least it ain't your shootin' arm... assuming you don't shoot left handed I would hate to fire that blunderbuss after just having shoulder surgery... :rofl:

Good luck on the surgery.

It's good that you're able to pass the lodge along to someone who'll use it for its intended purpose. As John mentioned, it good that you were able to do it instead of someone else having to do it for you, years down the road.

And best of success on the wing repairs. ;)

Well at least it ain't your shootin' arm... assuming you don't shoot left handed I would hate to fire that blunderbuss after just having shoulder surgery... :rofl:

Good luck on the surgery.

Actually, it is the left arm that bears the weight of the barrel. I am out of shooting for most of this year. I don't know about turning, it will be, at least, six weeks before I'll be able to test that, maybe 20. We'll see.

I know that the left arm supports the rifle, but it sounded funnier about the kick... I do wish you well on the shoulder repair... I know about the discomfort there... a few years ago I had a sports car in storage in the garage... I had a company car and didn't drive the Alfa because it needed some repairs that I couldn't afford at the time and probably couldn't find a mechanic capable of doing... but I backed it out and cleaned it then when I started to put it back in the garage, no start.. sounded like the battery was dead or the solenoid was locked up... anyway, The drive way had about a 2 or 3% grade on it so I put it in neutral, got behind it, lifted on the rear bumper and walked it back into the garage. Next morning I discovered I did a job on both shoulders... it was hell putting on a shirt for work and when I got to work, my coffee cup weighed at least 40 lbs... I literally had to take both hands to lift it. It's been 20 years and my shoulders will still get sore... not to the point where I'll contemplate surgery, but I still grimace when I put on a shirt sometimes... heavy turning makes them sore too.

The wife's ex who is about 76 had surgery on one of his last year... he's doing better, but I think he still has some exercises he does to keep it loose and limber. .... I'm going to put it off as long as I can stand it.

Actually they did have glasses. The history of eyeglasses goes way-way back in time. While mine are not period correct, folks did wear sorta sunglasses. Mine darken and lighten. Many of the old ones used silver in the glass to darken and protect from bright sun but the difference was they didn't re-lighten. The pair shown has been in my family for many generations and are typical of what was worn. Colored lenses were believed to cure diseases. Different colors for different ailment. These are blue.
Yes, life goes on. It will be different. I'm not happy but accepting. Otherwise I would have stubbornly held on and not sold the lodge. Some of my guns are now up for sale also.

Those are truly good looking glasses Frank, I love its design, I'm pretty sure that they could mark a new trend if someone went into making them again:thumb: