Environmentally Friendly Disposal of Engine Oil - Circa 1963

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
From the January 1963 issue of Popular science, An environmentally friendly way to dispose of your used engine oil.... :eek:

BTW, They've recently put their archives up on the web for free! :thumb:

attachment.php

Attachments

• EnvironmentallyFriendlyEngineOilDisposal_Jan1963.jpg
    EnvironmentallyFriendlyEngineOilDisposal_Jan1963.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 763
And yet we still listen to the expert advice.
The EPA has the gas station down town pumping compressed air into the ground to clean up the gas that leaked out of the tanks. The compressed air is going to force the gas out of the ground so they tell us.:thumb:

And yet we still listen to the expert advice.
The EPA has the gas station down town pumping compressed air into the ground to clean up the gas that leaked out of the tanks. The compressed air is going to force the gas out of the ground so they tell us.:thumb:

is the gas in a liquid or a vapor form ?

Back in the early 70's my dad ran a materials testing lab...soil, concrete, asphalt...that type of thing. The company had a fleet of a dozen or so pickups, plus one or two drill rigs for soil sampling. For their oil disposal solution, they used one of the rill rigs to drill an 8" wide hole about 40' deep in the equipment yard, and put an expanded metal grate over the top of it. Quite a bit of used motor oil (and other solvents like xylene) went down into that hole over the next few years. The EPA would have a fit over something like that nowadays. :rolleyes:

While in Iraq during Desert Storm & traveling in a 400 truck column with the 24 Infantry Division to get around behind & slam the back door on Sodamnedinsane's troops I saw a mechanic draining the oil from a Deuce & 1/2 into a slight depression in the ground & asked about the method he was using & he said he was just putting it back where it came from. At the time we really didn't have a way to carry gallons of used motor oil along with us.

Well i dont know what you guys really do to get rid of it but we have local free hazardous waste depots that we take this kind of thing to for recycling. They take cooking oil and engine oil along with all sorts of other things.

Our town is up to 65% of all garbage being recycled. When Mil was here recently i asked what was happening back in SA now and they aint even doing the blue bins never mind the green bins or hazardous waste.

I would have thought a recycling program would have been a great job creation program for a country like SA.

We even have electronic waste recycling for TVs computers etc and batteries too of all kinds.

But i did the popular mechanic thing back in my younger days when changing my bike oil. :D Just did not dig the hole or fill with stones.