New Monster Laser Arm Stabilizer

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Randy at Monster Lathe Tools has come up with a new stabilizer for the laser arm on his hollowing rigs. I got a chance to try mine out a couple nights ago, and it's a nice improvement. He added a slot in the bottom of the laser arm clamp that accepts the stabilizer underneath the laser arm. The stabilizer has machined UHMW plastic pads to make the arm slide more easily when adjusting the arm. The new stabilizer keeps the arm level while making adjustments, and reduces the laser arm vibrations when it's in use.

Monster Laser Upgrade - 05 800.jpg Monster Laser Upgrade - 06 800.jpg Monster Laser Upgrade - 04 800.jpg

If you've got a Monster Laser, I believe Randy is offering an upgrade for the clamp (including the new stabilizer) for a reasonable price. You'll have to check with him on the details and the pricing, but I'm liking the improvement the support provides on my rig. :thumb: (Full disclosure: I got mine in exchange for some work I did to his website. That's why I don't know the price.)

Next up...I still need to test drive the new bracket for attaching the Monster Laser to my McNaughton coring rig. ;) Just need to actually core something. I was originally planning to core some bowls from the piece of sycamore you see on my lathe in the picture above, but after I got started, I decided to go with a hollow form instead.

Ok here's one for ya.:doh:
Why do you need/want a laser on the McNaughton coring rig?

Since you're cutting with a curved blade, it's not easy to know if you really got it pointed in the right direction. The McNaughton is real handy at making these if you don't watch out...

Sycamore Donut 800.jpg

The laser helps show where the cutting tip is at all times. With the laser, hopefully my bowl to donut ratio will improve. ;)

Vaughn is that what they call a funnel??? I have never made one of those!:rofl::rofl:

Now dang it would you quit putting stuff like this on here. Now I have to get a hold of Randy to see what he can do for mine as that would be a big help if it didn't tip all the time.