Angle grinder at Harbor Freight

Dan Mosley

I see that there is a angle grinder 1/4" made by central pneumatic on sale at HF for 12.99 - I am wondering if it is any good for sanding on the lathe and wondering if anyone else is using it ?
Currently using a elec drill and works good also..........thanks

Dan, I'll echo the other guys. I think the angle grinder would be too fast (I don't think it's variable speed). It'll also make your compressor run pretty much full time, and since it doesn't have a regular chuck, you'll likely have trouble getting sanding pads to attach to it.

I know it's a lot more money, but here's my pneumatic sander of choice:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=21993

I also use one of the corded right angle drills from Harbor Freight a lot, but use the Grex to remove the sanding marks from the drill.

I have that angle grinder, and have used it for welding for a couple years now. It's a nice one, but not sure for wood. :)

I got one of those a while back, it lasted 3/4 way through a project. Had to finish another way. Later I got another one, A couple of uses later it smelled and smoked as well... I now have a quality one that cost a good deal more money but it lasts and gets the job done, I wasted my money trying to cheap my way through.

As for the sanding on a lathe, The name itself defines that answer. "Angle GRINDER" Do you want to Grind your projects or smoothe them ?

Too fast, too aggressive, spend your money on the right angle drill, Pay more and expect it to last. HF has a right angle drill as well as a right angle attachment for a drill.