Maple Platter Blanks

I have a question and haven't been able to find any answers. I have a chance to get a bunch of maple platter blanks. They are mostly 12" wide by 1 1/2" to 2" thick. Here is the issue. Most of it is spalted. Will this be a issue using them as utility plates? Thanks.

Maple platter blanks

Nope,won't hurt a thing,but if there going to be used for food,I would recommend a good oil finsh,least thats what I finish mine with.Laquer or any hard finishs tend to get cut or scratched up and is more difficult to refinish later on,where as oil can just be touched up every so often.

Thanks for the replies. Ken I am assuming that you are talking like Mahoney's walnut oil? That is what I use most of the time on my utility turnings. If I am unsure I use Seal-A-Cell followed by Arm-R-Seal. I have used it on salad bowls and after a couple of years still look great.

YUP,that would work great,never used it,but it has a good rep.I use a Danish oil mix myself that works great and will give you a nice ,but natural looking finish.

YUP,that would work great,never used it,but it has a good rep.I use a Danish oil mix myself that works great and will give you a nice ,but natural looking finish.

I do the same, and I hope it's not a problem because I've been using a spalted maple platter for over a year to hold food. (mostly fruit)

Just thought about it Ken using that oil. May just use Antique Oil. Was reading Ernie Conovers book and he says AO is all he uses for show or utiltiy. If it is good enough for him should be good enough for me.

Now just wait a darn minute.
There has been no proof that these so called blanks even exist.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
No pics no blanks:thumb:

cough sneeze,, rub eyees.. oh yeah thats it BERNIE we ned pics.. or the info line will run dry of info:rofl::rofl: so may we please see the piucs of these fabled platter blanks????