Finishing up some projects

Dan Mosley

Day off and finished up a few projects and thought i would post the results of the different things i did with them.

Picture 1 - is a small vessel i turned out of some california buckeye and I really didnt like how it turned out a first due to round hole in the side of it. So today i used my carving tool and enhanced the hole, painted the edges black, and buffed the CA finish by hand and it shined up pretty good. The light from the camera or room makes the inside look white but it really is a dark grey color.

Picture 2 - Is a vessel, medium in size and i turned the finial differently this time. I made the bottom tappered so it fits in like a cork or plug. The finish is two coats of DO and 4 coats of spray laquer. I let it dry for a week and hand waxed it for the heck of it just to see if the finish improves.

Picture 3 - Larger vessel that has two coats of DO on it and ill let dry for couple days and use 0000 steel wool to knock down a bit - then im planning on trying a new product that is made of beeswax and orange oil. More later when its complete

Picture 4 - are 7 small segmented walnut bowls that a friend gave me that he was going to throw out. I put a small glue block on the back and put them on the lathe and sanded them down quickly - being bare wood at that point i just rubbed in really well some of the beeswax and orange oil - they came out nicely with a satin finish look to them and i know they are food safe.

Still like experimenting with the finish work ..........................................Thanks Dan

Attachments

• Buckeye-2.jpg
    Buckeye-2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Mesquite-Vessel-Finial.jpg
    Mesquite-Vessel-Finial.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Vessel-Laquer.jpg
    Vessel-Laquer.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Walnut-bowls.jpg
    Walnut-bowls.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Stephen...............The buckeye is from some wood i bought and I don't think I would do it again - I bought a couple large pc's and had them shipped ran me about $120 which would have been ok except the wood had alot of punky areas making alot of it unusable..............but what can I say - I usually do not buy wood but wanted some Ca buckeye bad .......ahhh well.....just be careful who you buy from.............I have had good luck from Gotwood.com and they stand behind what they sell............Dan