marketing puzzlement

Frank Fusco

A little less than a year ago, I had to pull my stuff out of the art gallery I had been selling from. Before I actually got to it, I got a call from a woman who manages another art gallery, this one in a public facility. She wanted my things in her place. I was going to say "No"? No. Even though I agreed, I was reluctant. The new place has much less traffic both inside the store and on the street. Old place had thousands of walk-byes daily. New place has very little traffic but may be considered a 'destination' attraction.
I have been selling more from the new place than old. :D And, interestingly, I'm selling a greater variety of things. The manager put my pens and duck calls in a display case all their own. Since it had extra room I packed up and shipped a bunch of old non-sellers just to take up space. Well....I'm here to tell ye, those "old non-sellers" are selling just fine. For example: cartridge pens with antler; my high priced pens; perfume atomizers (I hadn't been able to GIVE those away, even to family :huh: ); hidden compartment key rings, and most recently, Harry Potter magic wands. Go figger. :dunno: Except for the cartridge pens, I don't know if I'll make replacements for the other stuff.
Mainly, I'm kinda fascinated by the difference in sales results. BTW, the old location and new one are only a couple blocks apart, adding to the puzzlement.
Rob, any theories?

Demeanor of owner/employees. I tend to buy from places like this or yard sales when the people smile and are at least friendly. If they ignore me, I generally take my money home with me. Could be one reason. :dunno:

Sheer numbers sound good, but sounds like this store has a higher percentage laying down their money. If this one gets 50% of the closing galleries attendance and raises the buying percentage, you might be making more perfume atomizers. (by the way, I sell more of them to men than to women! Men put aftershave in them, keep them in their briefcase and that 3 or 4 o'clock meeting they spritz and go in with confidence!). Reason #2?:huh:

The final thought, my dad said, "never look a gift horse in the mouth!!!". Good for you Frank!! :thumb::thumb:

Demeanor of owner/employees. I tend to buy from places like this or yard sales when the people smile and are at least friendly. If they ignore me, I generally take my money home with me. Could be one reason. :dunno:

Sheer numbers sound good, but sounds like this store has a higher percentage laying down their money. If this one gets 50% of the closing galleries attendance and raises the buying percentage, you might be making more perfume atomizers. (by the way, I sell more of them to men than to women! Men put aftershave in them, keep them in their briefcase and that 3 or 4 o'clock meeting they spritz and go in with confidence!). Reason #2?:huh:

The final thought, my dad said, "never look a gift horse in the mouth!!!". Good for you Frank!! :thumb::thumb:

Briefcase?? Here?? Would tackle boxes work? :rofl:

The items you are selling are not mass produced. They are special, custom, and available in limited numbers. Customers who buy that sort of thing don't do it in a WalMart type setting. They are happy to go out of the way to find them. Its adds to the "exclusiveness" of the item.

They like saying, "Oh, I found it in this little out of the way place. They have the nicest things you can't find just anywhere!"

Lesson: Getting into the head of your customer is much more profitable than trying to get in their wallet!

Indeed, location is everything!

And Bob's yer uncle. Don't look a gift horse, etc. And smile on the way to the bank.

perhaps the difference is private gallery v public showroom? private galleries are far more intimidating to go in for some people, and if they do go in, they assume they can't afford anything.
Are there any changes in the way pieces are priced? for example, can tags be seen now where they were not seen before?
It could be that your stuff is now all grouped together so the quality of *your* work can truly shine.
Could be purely a change in the economic state of things....

One never knows

perhaps the difference is private gallery v public showroom? private galleries are far more intimidating to go in for some people, and if they do go in, they assume they can't afford anything.
Are there any changes in the way pieces are priced? for example, can tags be seen now where they were not seen before?
It could be that your stuff is now all grouped together so the quality of *your* work can truly shine.
Could be purely a change in the economic state of things....

One never knows

It may be the gallery environment. It may be that my stuff is displayed in it's own showcase. That may convey a message of exclusivity. I dunno but I ain't quibblin'.