Large Walnut Crotch unwrapped:)the whole family now!!!

I don't think that one will fit in a Flat Rate box Larry. You might need to find a bigger box before you ship it to me. :p

well , here is the idea :huh::huh: i have 9 of these:rolleyes: they are approx 24" on the narrow end and around 44 on the widest these are table slabs and i am gonna part with some of them..they are 2.5" thick and i will get pics of the rest tomorrow with the actual dimensions..they are still green so will need to be dried before table use, but they could be whacked up into turner pieces:eek: any suggestions or serious interest.. pm me..

What a proud papa you are!!:congrats::congrats: Congratulations, going to be a whole litter of these critters eh???:eek::rolleyes: That is extremely nice wood, so with width, length and thickness, estimated drying time in your neck of the woods just stickered is????:huh:

well , here is the idea :huh::huh: i have 9 of these:rolleyes: they are approx 24" on the narrow end and around 44 on the widest these are table slabs and i am gonna part with some of them..they are 2.5" thick and i will get pics of the rest tomorrow with the actual dimensions..they are still green so will need to be dried before table use, but they could be whacked up into turner pieces:eek: any suggestions or serious interest.. pm me..

I'll probably get flogged over in Lathe Land for saying this, but I wouldn't cut any of those up for turned pieces. We can make beautiful stuff out of pieces of wood that are waste to most other woodworkers, but special slabs like that one deserve to be a natural edge table, not a few pretty platters or shallow bowls. I'm betting that's where the money would be. ;)

Either a natural edge table, or 1536 slimline pens. :p

[Edited to add...]

Dang, I just did the math and 1536 pens at $15 profit each would bring in a bit over $23,000. Maybe I was wrong about not cutting it up. :eek: Nah, you'd be better off buying 30 bf of regular walnut lumber and cutting it into pen blanks. :D

Wow, nice chunk of wood there Larry. I love walnut. Is it air dried? Or kiln fried?

alex right now its still green been cut down since april but hasnt been slabbed till friday.. it wont be kilned fried its air dry quaity stuff..if any thing it could be finished after 2 yrs of air drying.. i am looking at this as a futures market and am looking for some others with the same mindset..i will keep some of them but will part with others.

Either a natural edge table, or 1536 slimline pens. :p

I would suggest to give more chance to creativity, while natural edge tables are almost always beatiful, (I've seen pretty pieces of wood made into disgusting ones, hence my "almost") I truly believe that with a bit more thinking other pieces can be made that do not necessarily need to be tables, and that do not require cutting that slab into more boring boards.:)