Dresser in progress

Leo Voisine

I don't post my pics here very much.

I decided to post my recent project.

It takes me FOREVER to bring something to a completion - so don't expect to see the finished thing all too soon.

I have the week off and will be working on this about half the time.

I used Solidworks to do the design - have'nt designed the two top drawers yet - but that just takes a few minutes.

First pic is where I am at as of yesterday
Second pic is a $1000 sample at a furniture where I got my inspiration
Third pic is the Solid Model preview of what I am building.

I am not a pro - I am just trying to make something for my first granddaughters bedroom.

Attachments

• 3-13-10.jpg
    3-13-10.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Style -2.jpg
    Style -2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 2-dresser preview 1-18-10.jpg
    2-dresser preview 1-18-10.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 100
from what we can see ,it looks like you have a double thickness on the side panels? is that how you got the rails anchored is threw the inside panel or ar they connected by some other method? looks like your off to a good start..what kind of wood are you gonna use?:thumb::thumb:

Larry,

Yes the sides are a double thickness. 1/4 oak veneer ply. There is a spacer sandwiched between the two thickness of ply. I will have 1/4 holes drilled in the side cabinet for adjustable shelves. The holes will be drilled into the spacers.

I am done for today I glued up the front framing.

Attachments

• 3-14-10.JPG
    3-14-10.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 40
What do you mean by saying " I'm not a pro" Leo?
Most of us aren't, and the quality of the many of the projects shown here including yours are of professional quality.

It takes longer to you to finish one? so what?:dunno: You are lucky not having a deadline date, so enjoy it, the more you enjoy it the better it will come out.

I look forward to see the next batch of pics, keep them coming please!:thumb::thumb:

I took the clamps off the framing this morning - and sanded in the little mismatching that was there.

I am off to a breakfast this rainy morning with an old buddy. I'll be at it a bit later.

I will post an update pic or two later tonight.

Thanks, for the comments - that stuff is truly inspiring to me.

Leo

3-24-10 update

Well - Sunday I got most of the carcase glued up. Still a little more to add to it.

Today, I milled and glued up the top. I decided, that I don't need to follow "convention". It is more than 3/4 thick. I milled till I just cleaned up and got all the wood uniform thickness. It is pretty close to 7/8 thick.

Attachments

• 3-24-2.jpg
    3-24-2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 3-24-1.jpg
    3-24-1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 3-21-2.jpg
    3-21-2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 3-21-1.jpg
    3-21-1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 40
Well - the top didn't end up thick and beefy. After sanding and flattening, it ended up just a tad over 3/4. Still looks good though.

So I finished the top.

Sanded it

I routed a tabled edge router bit around 3 edges

Sanded again by hand with a double sized hand block sander.

I gave it a wash coat with 1# cut garnet shellac.

I coated it all around, top and bottom

Attachments

• 3-25-1.jpg
    3-25-1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 3-25-2.jpg
    3-25-2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 3-25-3.jpg
    3-25-3.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 3-25-4.jpg
    3-25-4.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 29
Just my opinion, but I think the turkey needed a bit more sanding before you gave it the wash coat. I think I can see some sanding scratches in the pic.

The dresser top is looking great, though. :D I've been working on a dresser repair project and I was sure wishing for a drum sander like yours a week or so ago. :thumb:

Well it don't "look" like I did much since the last post, but I am done building the carcase.

I did a whole lot of sanding.

I made the inside center upper support.

I made the back panel - it is just in place, but not secured. That will be the last thing to be secured.

I made the two adjustable shalves in the side cabinets. They are 3/4 Oak ply with edge banding on the front.

I did two coats of poly on the underside of the top. I am not comvinced that is any more than a wives tale, but I did it anyway. Mostly cause it is going to be a few weeks before I secure it to the carcase, and I wanted it to be thoroughly sealed. Right now the top it is just placed there for the picture.

I am filling the pores with the stuff I used a few years ago. It is a water based fluid. ProCoat is the brand name. Pore filler is the product. That is the shiny that you see on the top. I will be sanding that down to the wood and reapplying the pore filler a few times. It looks like watery Elmers Glue all (white glue). It is pretty thick and dries clear.

I will be making the 5 drawers next. I am too cheap to buy a real expensive dovetail jig, and I don't have the skill to chop that many by hand - so I am gonna see if I can get my HF jig will get the job done. The drawers will be Poplar, with Oak faces, Inset into the carcase. The drawer slides are full extension heavy duty slides.

Well that's about it for this week end. May be able to get in a couple of hours during the week.

Attachments

• to-date.JPG
    to-date.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 23
  • dove.JPG
    dove.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 22