Dresser in progress

i can assure you that putting a sealer coat on both sides is nessacary... i have seen table tops go into a c with out it. and can you imagine what you would say or think if yu didnt and had that happen to this dresser???

Larry,

I have built a Shaker reproduction dresser for my son about 5 years ago. I didn't seal the underside for that top. That dresser was also wider and almost twice as long. It has gone from Mass, to New Hampshire, and now is Conn.

Still nice and flat today.

Not saying it doesn't happen, just that I have never seen it, and that I know there is a lot out there from years ago, that it was never a consideration. I have also read articles that talk about it, pro and con.

Once I "see" it, I will be convinced.

Well it don't "look" like I did much since the last post, but I am done building the carcase.

I did a whole lot of sanding.

I made the inside center upper support.

I made the back panel - it is just in place, but not secured. That will be the last thing to be secured.

I made the two adjustable shalves in the side cabinets. They are 3/4 Oak ply with edge banding on the front.

I did two coats of poly on the underside of the top. I am not comvinced that is any more than a wives tale, but I did it anyway. Mostly cause it is going to be a few weeks before I secure it to the carcase, and I wanted it to be thoroughly sealed. Right now the top it is just placed there for the picture.

I am filling the pores with the stuff I used a few years ago. It is a water based fluid. ProCoat is the brand name. Pore filler is the product. That is the shiny that you see on the top. I will be sanding that down to the wood and reapplying the pore filler a few times. It looks like watery Elmers Glue all (white glue). It is pretty thick and dries clear.

I will be making the 5 drawers next. I am too cheap to buy a real expensive dovetail jig, and I don't have the skill to chop that many by hand - so I am gonna see if I can get my HF jig will get the job done. The drawers will be Poplar, with Oak faces, Inset into the carcase. The drawer slides are full extension heavy duty slides.

Well that's about it for this week end. May be able to get in a couple of hours during the week.

The HF dovetail jig looks to be an exact replica as the Rockler one except the HF version comes with much better directions and is a lot less expensive.:thumb: I downloaded HF's directions because the Rockler ones were lousy and make near perfect dovetails with it.

Well - about the dovetail jig.

NAH - I ain't gonna spend my money on no PC jig.

The HF jig for $39.95 is going to work out just find and dandy.

I messed around a little tonight - and got what I consider to be acceptable results.

I do need to adjust the fence a TAD, and center the dovetails in the board, but aside from that it about ready.

I do need to figure out the length width and height of the drawers, but that's easy stuff.

Attachments

• dove-1.jpg
    dove-1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 22
  • dove-2.jpg
    dove-2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 21
Update 4-3-10

YESTERDAY – I sanded the pore filled on the top, and did a second coat of filler. I will sand it again today if I have time. No pic – nothing to really show there.

I also milled and cut the drawer parts. I missed on two pieces.

I am glad I carry stock – otherwise I would have had to run to the store for wood.

-------------------------------------------------------

Well it's a shop day today.

I got started at around 7

I milled 2 last pieces that I missed yesterday for the drawers.

MAN - I just gotta get the resaw down, so I can do that. I could have saved a LOT of poplar.

I started with a 1x12x12 plus a 1x6x8 and a 1x6x6 to make the parts on the bench.

So today - in fact in 5 minutes I will be making some drawers. 5 drawers total. It would be real nice to get them assembled today, cause I don't have much time next week.

Attachments

• today.JPG
    today.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 12