Famowood question

Bob Gibson

According to the directions Famowood can be used on unfinished wood and then stained or painted. Does anyone know if Its ok to use a hand rubbed finish like BLO with Famowood? Would it make a difference, stain or oil?

I'm making a cherry bedside table for my wife and there are a few minor imperfections in the wood that I would like to fix. I'm planning on finishing it with BLO and wipe on poly.
Anyone have any better ideas??

I've used the stuff for years. It blends better than anything else I have tried, but it ain't invisible. BLO shouldn't affect it.

It will work OK, It will stain the wood. I would just use fine wood dust and a drop of sealer to mix my own nick touch up filler. You can also use hard wax filler if you have the big set usually there is a tone that will come very close or for the more experienced lacquer burn in for touch up's after the job is finished and you get a nick.

Thanks folks :thumb:

I always use Timbermate. But since it's a water based product I was concerned that the soaking and rubbing while applying the finish would loosen or dissolve it. The can says that if the stuff inside is hard just add a little water :eek: The Famowood I bought is solvent based so I thought that I would give that a try.
There are 2 hairline gaps in one of the glue joints, each about 1" long. I must of whacked the edges on something before glue up and didn't notice it.

Famowood is a solvent based wood filler. Which means that it can be mixed with any solvent based stain if you want to pre tint it before application. You shouldn't have any problems applying it and then using BLO as a finish. The BLO will soak into it, but it won't dissolve it or soften it. Just as a general FYI, most solvent based stains the say "stains and seals" on the label (like minwax products) contain BLO or some other curing oil as the "sealer".