Where do you buy your screws?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I just tossed an entire box of borg wood screws after shearing the heads off of three in a row going into a pre-drilled hole in hardwood. They break off just below the head and are a bugger to get out. :bang:There has to be a supplier that has a wood screw that can handle more torque than a 6 year old can dish out.:doh:

+2 on McFeely's even over here in Japan :thumb:

I do buy most of mine at Joyful Honda or Super Viva Home, but there are always choices, I NEVER buy the cheap ones on sale, and I look to see where they are made. The cheap head poppers are almost always made in China, where as the ones made in Japan, are usually better, but more expensive. I am willing to pay a bit more to avoid the frustration that you speak about.

:wave:

i usually buy my screws at home depot, and haven't had problems like that. but then again, if i'm driving into oak or other hardwoods, i usually add a little bit of lube to them first. i find irish spring works best.

i usually buy my screws at home depot, and haven't had problems like that. but then again, if i'm driving into oak or other hardwoods, i usually add a little bit of lube to them first. i find irish spring works best.
I bet your furniture smells nice. :rofl:

Lube or no, I still have problems with the borg screws. Never have the same problem with Spax or Kreg screws.

I buy mine at the Borg. I only buy deck screws and to date have'nt had a problem.:thumb: Now the coarse and fine thread drywall screws will snap if you just think about using them.:eek:

The problem with heads popping off is called hydrogen embrittlement. Basically its a plating/heat treating problem. If you are using drywall type screws buy them from a local distributor of power tools and fasteners. They supply the drywall, gc, and hvac contractors. If they sold faulty screws they would lose their customers. They will probably carry "Grabber Brand" or Buildex. Both are quality product.

I've had the same problem in the past. If I have to buy from a borg I look for the "Grip Rite" brand. They are usually pretty good.

Wood screws

I also go to Mc Feeleys for almost all of my wood screws I have been using them for years with no regrets. Fastenall also has good wood screws if there is a location near to you. I am lucky there is a location about a half mile from me.
Charles

Does anyone know where to buy unplated steel straight slotted screws?
That is all I use for 18th century style projects.
I cant find where to buy them direct in bulk.

Ken Take a look at www.mcmastercarr.com.
They list plain steel slot head wood screws in assorted sizes and lengths.
Charles Hans
Yup they got em, I think this is what your looking for.
Wood Screws, Carriage Screws, and Lag Screws
79 products match your selections

91606a.gif

Head StyleFlatMaterial TypeSteelFinishZinc-PlatedSystem of MeasurementInchDriveSlottedThread StyleFor Wood

Last edited:
+1000 on McFeely's.

I ordered some kind of super homowner set from McFeely's a couple of years ago. Just ordered a 100$ of refills the other week. Where I live, I like to have every screw I might need at hand and ready to go.

I also bought a bunch of the McFeely's pocket head screws for use with the Kreg Jig.

They are quality items and I do tend to like the robertson heads...

I just got a replenishment order from McFeeley's yesterday. They're about all I use. I even like their pocket hole screws better than the Kreg ones.

+1 on McFeely's

I had a melamine computer desk where the cpu sat in the footwell.

I added a "sidecar" out of oak and was screwing it to the melamine. Crack.

I got the screw out and didn't finish the project.

I ordered the DIY Dozen from McFeelys and used them. Love at first use.

I need a refill on some of the smaller sizes.

Jim

If I need to screw around for a while, I go to my local Hardware store and pick up a box of thee size I need. But when making serious period projects I order slotted screws from Fastenal, They have everything you can imagine.