Very Disappointing

Tony Falotico

:( My buddy & I drove 150 miles (each way) yesterday to attend the Woodworkers Show in Tampa. Paid $10 to get in (If I remember it was $7 last year). In our disappointment we noted:

• Not as many venders as in past years
  • Those that did come brought much less than in past years
  • The crowd was much thinner, obviously more retirees and hobbyists than tradesman
  • Not nearly as much (hardly any) merchandise going out the door as compared to past years

I guess it's just a sign of the times. Lee Valley had 1/3 the display they had last year, even Peachtree supply (usually the largest) was noticeably smaller. I did not see manufacturer's represented, the major brands (the few that were there) were represented by local vendors (the local Woodcraft store had Jet, Powermatic and festool displays). Several local clubs were represented (mostly turners) showing their work and giving demonstrations. More non-woodworking displays than in the past.

It was a very sad reflection of the times we live in. I certainly hope this is temporary and the show will grow in future years. It is the only one of its kind that can be a one day trip for us. We planned on being there most of the day, ended up leaving after three hours. Very disappointing.

Tony

Well if we didn't live in such lonnnng states maybe the shows would be closer ;-)

I agree with the disappointment in the thinning of presenters and the scope of their booths. However, I notice that many visitors state that there "aren't as many people there as last time". Although this may be true, I sometimes read that these folks then plan on NOT attending "next time" but fail to see that this only contributes to the poor attendance and therefore a lack of interest from the vendors. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I think it is a combination of things including what Glen said.
More and more people are ordering tools and equipment through the internet which leaves most vendors with not enough sales to make a trip worthwhile. I would however think that the manufacturers would make a better showing so that their retailers would do better.
I also think that different hobbies become a generational thing. Woodworking, like Ham radio and sailing are just dying as far as hobbies go. The younger generations have their own interests. It doesnt cost much to be a woodworker in general. To do quality woodworking cost money whether hand or power tools plus the space needed. This of course can be debated, but for the most part it is true.

Glenn, I understand the economics of it, Tampa is a long way from many of the vendors headquarters and it is expensive to ship merchandise in (and worst ship it back). I also understand South Florida is a retirement haven and does not offer the level of tradesmen attendance that other cities offer. That is why the Tampa show has never been up to par with the bigger city shows. I accept that.

I'm of the opinion that what we experienced is a sign of the sad state of our nation, err, I mean economy. If I say what I really want to say, it will probably be subject to moderation!

Tony

oh man tony, Im driving 4.5 hours next saturday to the show in Saratoga Springs, just actually got off the cell with Mark whos meeting up for dinner.
I hope the Saratoga show is as nice as it was last year.
Im looking to pick up a dovetail saw, some scrapers, and a shoulder plane to clean up my raised panel doors.(besides anything else that strikes me as I must have)
Its always a good show, since it falls out on my birthday week usually.

YTe show in Columbus, OH, back in January, wasn't bad. There were a few empty booth spaces, but most of the majors were there, along with the super glue, 'cuts anything' and Sham-Wow folks. I actually spent a couple hours at the show - and also spent about a hundred bucks (unusual for me at a show).