Hinge ripped out of PB kitchen cabinet... suggestions?

Art Mulder

Hey folks, how would you deal with this?
IMG_4023.jpg

My youngest leaned on the cabinet door and ripped the hinge out of the Particle board side. This happened ~5 years ago also and I fixed it that time by moving the hinge down 2-3" in height.
(So the top two holes are from back then. The lower HUGE chunk is from yesterday. That half-moon shaped piece in front of the hole is also broken and pulled out about 10-20 degrees, which isn't that visible in the photo.)

So I don't think moving the hinge again is really an option.

Ripping out and replacing the whole cabinet is just not in the cards right now -- too many other things on the go. The whole kitchen is not the greatest, but I don't have the funds to replace it right now, and really I want to wait until the kids are older anyways -- kids are hard on kitchen cabinets!

So far I'm thinking about cutting out a rectangular chunk and fitting in a piece of plywood to patch it. I might then use a much larger 1/8 or 1/4" piece on the outside of the cabinet (between the cabinet and the fridge, so well hidden) to secure the patch in place.

Here's a closeup, showing the part I'd cut out:
IMG_4023b.jpg

Got a better suggestion? Something simpler and quicker? Or slower and better?

Longer term I'm thinking about taking the doors off and replacing them with two deep drawers. Might breath some more life into this cabinet for the next 5 or so years before we decide on replacing everything.

...art

Short of building a new one.
Set up a router with a flat bottom bit. Make a jig that will allow you to plow out a rectangle big enough to cover the whole damaged area. Set the depth to the bottom of the screw damage but not all the way through. Rout out the damage cut a block of maple or some thing the right thickness and the right shape. Glue said block into the hole you have made for it. Let glue set up and reinstall door.

If that is an outside panel and that is the fridge next to it and it wasn't my house (nod, nod, wink, wink). . . I would drill clearance holes where the hinge screws go, put a piece of backer board between the panel and the fridge and screw right through the end panel and into the backer. Shhh, don't tell anyone but, the kids might not be quite done with that cabinet door yet ;-)

If that is an outside panel and that is the fridge next to it and it wasn't my house (nod, nod, wink, wink). . . I would drill clearance holes where the hinge screws go, put a piece of backer board between the panel and the fridge and screw right through the end panel and into the backer. Shhh, don't tell anyone but, the kids might not be quite done with that cabinet door yet ;-)

:rofl::rofl::rofl: thats got some truth to it but i think, chucks idea is the best for this instance..or take and make your drawer set up now..

Art I just noticed the line you put on the second pic. Use that line for your repair. Come in a good 1/2" to 3/4" from the front. To clamp your patch in you could cut a stick just a bit bigger than the inside of the cabinet, and wedge it from the wall of the cabinet to the patch until the glue sets.

I like your idea, Chuck.... but I'm just trying to think of how I'm going to hold that heavy Hitachi M12v SIDEWAYS without it slipping and falling. (after that "Bad Things"tm happen...)

I like your idea, Chuck.... but I'm just trying to think of how I'm going to hold that heavy Hitachi M12v SIDEWAYS without it slipping and falling. (after that "Bad Things"tm happen...)

Art,

Do you have a pin nailer? You could take a few pieces of scrap, pin them to the cabinet wall as a guide, rout, and pull them out without anyone noticing... ;)

I think your call to wait until the kids are older before replacing them is a good one. Don't ask me how I know... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I wouldn't try to patch that, you'll just rip the whole patch out. I would get screws or bolts long enough to go through the hinge and cab side and into a peice of wood/ply on the other side.

What is next to this cab on the side where the hinge pulled out?

Art sorry to hear of the door. :( I can relate to this problem. In my case the giants ( 6ft 4inches) 15, 21 ) i have hang on the doors when they stand gazing into the cupboard looking for i dont know what. They ripped the whole stile off the door one time. Fortunately where it spilt i could just glue it back.

Best of luck with the repair. :thumb:

Gonna be a long time till you can think of redoing the kitchen and being safe that they aint gonna rip it apart.:D

Well if you can't run that one. It gives you a reason to go buy this http://www.google.com/products/cata...ult&ct=image&resnum=3&ved=0CBQQ8gIwAg#:thumb:

or you can use a good trim router and that wont wear you out holding it up art:)

Well I don't have a trim router! (Yet! A woodworker should always say "I don't have ... YET!" :rofl:)

But I did remember that I had my Dad's old D-handle Rockwell sitting way up on a shelf. This is the grandpaw of the PC690, in case it looks familiar.

Now then....

1- Made a template, tested it in the shop, here it is clamped in place and ready to go.
IMG_4024.jpg

2- All routed out. I settled on about 3/8" deep. (Cabinets are 5/8" thick termite barf)
IMG_4025.jpg IMG_4026.jpg

3- Hunk of maple scrap glued in place with Titebond III. (I waffled between TBIII and epoxy. I only have some small bottled of 5minute epoxy, so I waffled over to the TBIII.)
IMG_4067.jpg

4- Got the hinge mounting plate fastened on and things back together.
IMG_4068.jpg

5- And here we have one rather plain and ugly -- but totally functional :thumb: -- kitchen cabinet door.
IMG_4069.jpg

Thanks, folks!

Ok Art ya done well on step one.:thumb: Now on to step two teach the kids that door ain't a ladder.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Oh and move the cookies into that cabinet.Then there will be no need to get to the top.:rofl::rofl::rofl: