Latest Project

AAAhhh found out what the vibration was from. :huh: :huh:

The arbor that connects to the motor has a slight crook. Just enough that when the bit is put in it wobbles wobbles wobbles. Quarter inch bit cuts a 3/8 slot. Taking it back tomorrow.:bang: :bang: :bang:

I think I got it handled.
The travel is 5 7/16 inches. That is 54 full turns of the crank. So that works out to . . . . 47 carry the 3 uh :huh: :huh: :huh:

Actually it is a little more than 3/32 per crank. ( 3.2 to be exact) I think that is probably accurate enough for anything I can think of making.
QUOTE]

Heck, Hubert, if you get to making stuff that need "Real Accuracy", :huh: :eek: you can always put a "Wixley Digital Readout" on it and you won't have to do all that Division stuff.:thumb: :D

It's Alive!!!

Hubert. I'm amazed at your progress. The pics in your first post were overwhelming for for me. I have enough trouble getting my wood to stay stable and my drawers to slide straight. Moving your table on two axis while keeping the third flat is no longer woodworking. Mechanical Engineering maybe, but beyond woodworking. Great job, and well documented. You made it look easy.

rick

Had a guy ask in another Forum.

"I really have a stupid question, but I have seen all the pictures, but
I don't know what you are building? What is it? A shelf?"

So I thought I'd import my answer. In case there are others too afraid to ask a "stupid question" :) :)

""Nope.

This is called a Multi-router. If you Google it you will find they cost in the neighborhood of $3000. The primary use is for mortis and tenon. It makes the mortis.

You clamp a piece of wood for say a table leg into the rig and using the handles slowly move the peice into the cutter. In a little and then back and forth cutting the mortis.

Also they can be used as a horizontal boring rig. Normally you would mount a router in the enclosure but I didn't want to sacrifice one of my routers for that purpose. I had planned to strip a motor off a washing machine but they cleaned up the local "dumping road" . So I went to a local motor rewinder and he sold me a high speed motor for $50.

Since I have a total of about $200 in this I think it is a pretty good deal.

Hope that helps. If any one is interested I have a CAD file with all the specs.""

By the way I was really just coping what I saw in the "books and posts" Can't take all the credit. :D :D

Last post I think on this.

I replaced the crooked spindle and got one that was almost straight. :(

But the variance is small. A 1/4 up twist router bit makes a slot that is 260 thousandths. I can live with that since I make the tenon AFTER I make the slot. :D :D I'll just make a stack of tenons the right size for future use.

Was fun and now I have to figure out what to build from it. :rofl: :rofl:

By the way this sucker is HEAVY! Remember full sheet of 3/4 ply plus the motor. Good for stabilization but bad for the back.

Last edited: