production run done with pic of all...

Dan Noren

Staff member
for about 5-6 hours i made that ol lathe earn it's keep. knocked out 25 bottle stoppers today for the web site. i still have to make another 7 for the full stock up. in the pic, the types of wood are:

cocobolo, olive wood, lignum vit., osage orange
kingwood, padauk, spalted curly maple
walnut, cherry, mahogany, curly maple

for that empty space, i'm planning on gluing up some of that extra brazilian cherry for stopper blanks.

tell you this much, when i hit my stride, i was just a spinny fool....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• todays stoppers.JPG
    todays stoppers.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Nice work, Dan.

John, it looks like Dan's using the stopper kits from Ruth Niles. Her introductory kit is a good deal. After making the first 10, they're the only kind of bottle stoppers I figure I'll make now.

vaughn beat me to the punch john, they are ruth's kits. i buy the ones that are threaded. i've found that some woods are kind of iffy for making stoppers this way. my problem is with stripped threads in the wood. i have to watch mahogany like a hawk on this. i think part of my problems this way today, is that i tried to be a little too clever in drilling the holes. some may have been just a touch over size.

drew, i'm setting them up on a 3 tier system, better the wood, the higher the price. in the pic, the lower 4 would be $15, the middle 4 (4 when i make the new ones) would be $20, and the top 4 would be $25.