Any handgun shooters?

I just got a new handgun after about 25 years now need to get some good ear protection.
I've already lost about 45 % of my hearing in my good ear.:eek:
I'd rather not loose more. are custom ear molds better than the headsets?

Just looking for options.

Will add pixs as soon as I get home.

(I've been in Yonkers NY for 5 of the last 6 weeks and can't wait to get back home.)

I attached a pic from the manufacturers website.

Attachments

• safeaction_pistol.jpg
    safeaction_pistol.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 42
Custom plugs are probably the best.
For earmuff types there are several excellent brands on the market. Just be sure to get a quality pair. The electronic types that incorporate both amplifiers and attenuation are getting very popular. For good ones, be prepared to drop some bucks, up to $300.00.
I use disposable silicone ear plugs. On the range, I'll use both the plugs and muffs.
I keep a pair of plugs in my pocket at all times. If I find myself in a noisy environment, in they go.
For plugs, be sure to get silicone type. Those that just say "foam" are not satisfactory.
Never think you can 'take it' when noise is involved. That is a common fault with many people. Just because pain isn't involved in hearing damage a lot of guys think they "can take it".
Even if you already have some hearing loss, still use protection to save what you have left.
Yep, I'm a crusader on the subject. In fact, my shooting club has a requirement that all participants wear hearing protection.

Depends on what I'm doing really.

If I'm out alone shooting, probably just my electronic ear muffs. If I'm doing more than .22 -> .45acp, I'll put in some plugs and muffs..

If I'm in a group, plugs and big muffs. Never can tell when the fella next to you will pull out his dirty harry hand cannon :eek:

I have a pair of earplugs that I bought 35 years ago when I was heavily into skeet and trap. There is some sort of sliding plug inside them that closes automatically with the rapport of the gun. Not sure if they still make them or not but they still work great.
I never liked the earmuff type. Too uncomfortable for my liking.

Keep one thing in mind about custom ear plugs. They are only good for about two years. The shape of you ear canal changes as you get older. When I was in the safety business we offered custom fitted ear plugs that the technician would actualy mold the plugs to each ear, then he would do a test my inserting a tiny microphone in each ear plug through special hole in each plug and do a hearing test to verify that they were indeed working. He would then plug the holes with removable plugs. We would then go back every year and verify that the shap of the ear canal hadn't changed enough to hurt the performance of the ear plugs. They were about $75 as et and we would guarantee em for two years. These are the same ear plugs that NASCAR driver wear.

Generally I just wear muffs, plugs in the deer stand. My super blackhawk is magna ported and that puts some noise in your face! Ear protection required not suggested. Have gotten to where I wear ear muffs even shooting 22 rifles. Going to get a radio pair to wear on the tractor when mowing pastures. Ears and eyes, only get two per lifetime. Handgun shooter, uhhhhmmmmm, yeah, think I could find a couple handguns to shoot. Have a range in the back pasture, so anyone ever coming this way, bring your guns, we can shoot!!

I've got a pair of the radio headphones for the shop. I love them. I have a little fm transmitter from CCRane that I hook up to the tv, so I can watch nascar and run the planer or whatever and keep up with the race.

I know, I know, not supposed to have distractions in the shop, but I don't get too worked up about whats on tv. Just like to listen to something.

I did find out my little electronic muffs were not enough when I went to a rifle shoot one time. I was using my 10/22 and the guy next to me was using an M1 Garand 30.06. My scores tended to suffer cause every time he shot I'd flinch!

Generally I just wear muffs, plugs in the deer stand. My super blackhawk is magna ported and that puts some noise in your face! Ear protection required not suggested. Have gotten to where I wear ear muffs even shooting 22 rifles. Going to get a radio pair to wear on the tractor when mowing pastures. Ears and eyes, only get two per lifetime. Handgun shooter, uhhhhmmmmm, yeah, think I could find a couple handguns to shoot. Have a range in the back pasture, so anyone ever coming this way, bring your guns, we can shoot!!

"required" is an understatement.
When I was shooting and reloading for my .44 magnum on a regular basis I learned that lesson the hard way.
When trying a new charge, I loaded two and fired them when I went to the farm. That was before we moved to our present home.
One day, I found there were no muffs in the truck and I didn't have any plugs with me. Very-very unusual situation. But, I figgered "how bad can two shots be?". I fired one. Thought the world was ending. :eek: Ears ringing real bad. For all the thousands of times I had shot that big banger pistol, this was the first, and last, time I shot it without protection.
For the gun fancier types, it was a Ruger Redhawk.

you will not miss your hearing as long as it go bad gradually, what is ringing in the ears ? ---I still got mine hearing but some days I can not heard in both ears, the loss is not due to firearms but to too many ear-aches

I dont shoot much anymore. I only go to the indoor range a few times a year now to practice with my glock.
I never purchased new muffs.
I usually put the old fashion rubber ear plugs in both ears, then the muffs over them, usually works. I use the same ear muffs when I run my planer.

I don't shoot and have no interest, but as a man with a case of tinnitus, I second and third all that have said to use protection... If I have to choose between deaf and blind, I will take deaf, but I would rather not have to choose.

The last time I fired a pistol was in 1963 off the fantail of the USS Finch DER328... I was a second class petty office and it was required that I "qualify" with a pistol.... the gunner's mate took me to the fantail, handed me a Colt 45, pointed at a weather balloon teathered off the fantail and said shoot it down... I fired half a clip at the balloon, hit it at least 3 times (I think) but the balloon was so billowy the bullets just moved the balloon aside and I could not shoot it down.... I was marked qualified with a 45 though.... My ears rang for a full day after that because no protection.
After the navy I did 11 years with an airlines and for about 5 years spent my shifts on the ramp, supervising the loading and unloading of aircraft... I walked the fuselage between the fuselage and the number 3 engine many times when last minute bags needed to be loaded... Even with earmuffs the noise was LOUD... I've had a ringing in my ears since 1970.
Protect your hearing!

Thanks for the replys, I'm definately getting something, the muffs just dont fit around the behind the ear hearing aids.. guess I'd have to remove them for plugs anyhow... I've seen diy custom molded plugs wonder if they are any good?

For the muffs I've seen 22db and 26db I'm assuming that is reduction.
Is 26db reduction enough or should I be looking for higher reduction?

I got the Glock 22 40cal S&W.

conversation is 60 db so you need a reduction that is close to this , any thing higher than 90 db is pushing the limit

If you are wearing them for a short time, plugs and muff of decent quality will work fine, but if you are wearing them for extended periods of time, then the custom fit jobs are the bomb!

I worked on a production line building sleepers for highway rigs, 10 hours a day, in the heat of summer and the cold of winter and let me tell you, them custom plugs were the way to go, heck the fit so well, we had signs on the change room doors and the door to the parking lot reminding you to remove your ear plugs :D

I liked the .40 cal glock as well, but went with a 27. It's a pretty small little guy...

For general around the ranch carry, I use a taurus ultralight .38.