A New Chapter.....

Stu, My wife and I also know the feelings that you and your family are feeling now. Our youngest went off to Germany for a year as an exchange student. It may have been easier as she was our last and not our first, but still hard. She left on our anniversity. It was a very different day for us. We found out later that the airlines had tried to bump her, but she was determined and got on the flight she needed. Your daughter will be fine and do great, look who her dad is.

Thanks everyone!

We are now safe and sound back in Tokyo, Erika is 2 1/2 hours into her 9 hour flight. I doubt very much I'll get any sleep tonight :rolleyes: :wave:

The call that she arrived OK will come between 4:30 AM and 5:00 AM :)

I think it will be on time I don't mind getting a call at that time in the morning ;) :D

Just got off the Skype with Erika, she is in Vancouver airport and has checked in for her connecting flight to Kelowna.

She will be boarding soon.
Just another hour to Kelowna.
I am so very proud of our daughter!!

Now I need some sleep! :wave:

it shows you and your wife have done a good job.
Your daughter has the chutzpah to go to another country to attend school which shows such drive and ambition.

Kvelling. Look it up, its Yiddish.

Last edited:
Stu, I know you and Emiko are currently overwhelmed by this huge life passage. Lots of unidentified emotions running through your head. More things will happen that you will find difficult dealing with. One, will be the first time you call her and she acts annoyed you interrupted whatever she was doing and says she will call you back then doesn't for three or four days. It will happen. And it will wrench your gut. All it will mean is that she is learning to be independent, learning to live on her own, has new friends and interests and you are no longer 100% of her life, you are just part of it. Yer baby ain't no baby no more. Been there, am there.

Stu,

I'll add to Frank's last post.

Your little girl is growing up....not yet grown up but growing up. Her bravery and inquisitiveness should be applauded. Just like you traveled to Japan to find yourself in life Stu...She's gone to your homeland to find out about herself and maybe you too Stu! Gutsy!

Even after she's fully grown up and a liberated young adult, don't be surprised if one day she shows back up on your front door. All 3 of our children did at least once return home to live temporarily with Mom and Dad. It seems to be the norm for more and more parents and families.

Hang tough Stu! Your daughter is simply showing some of her Dad's traits.

Stu,
That is both great and sad... we hate to see our babies grow up... My son didn't leave home until he joined the Army at 19, but it was still a time I hated to see come. If I had had my choice, I would have kept him at 10 the rest of his life... at 10 boys are still at awe of the world, they are into adventure and old enough you can actually talk to them.