So whats the difference?

Bart Leetch

Between an Spindle thread - M33 x 3.5 & a 8 tpi x 1 1/4" Spindle.

I found this lathe it looks like the Jet 1642 but the head turns. At this time I don't know if they sell or ship into the US or not.
I have E-mailed them asking questions about the spindle, possible ordering with a 1'x 8 tpi spindle & any other differences as well as selling & shipping to the US.

http://www.warco.co.uk/1642-Wood-Lathe---Buy-Online-From-Warco.aspx#

Bart, why would you want it over the Jet or it's cousin, the Grizzly G0632? Those have the stronger 1 1/4" spindle. After shipping charges and anticipating possible service needs, I wouldn't even consider it. Isn't price about the same as the Jet here in U.S. dollars?
An adaptor will cost, minimum, $40.00.

I agree with Frank. Why not give Sean a call at Tool Nut and see what he would do for a Jet 1642? He most generally will meet or beat prices and most times with free shipping. I wouldn't touch it because of service and the shipping of parts or the lathe would be stinking expensive. Besides doesn't 1200 British pounds convert to almost $1800? Just some food for thought.

I was looking at the swivel head + variable speed & wondering & thought it would work good in my small shop.

I looks like in the $1200-1400 range if I want the availability of a swivel head it's the Nova 1642 or without it's the Grizzly G0632 or G0698 with Zambus casters or just a bowl lathe the Vega 2413B. I know the Jet is good I have a few Jet tools but they usually cost more & I don't see enough difference to cost more. I have the Jet small spindles sander (great little sander), 10" mini lathe (I won in a drawing, lots of fun ) & Dovetail jig (horrible instructions came with it).

I need to be able to move it around & not struggle to do so as well as get the head in a position where I don't twist my back while working with it. Yes I would prefer variable speed as in Grizzly or Jet but $2000 as in Nova DVR isn't in the cards right now.

Grizzly probably makes the most sense because I can drive to Bellingham in less than an hour. You know how it is I just cant get the swivel head out of my mind, it just looks so handy.

Last edited:
Bart, the little "£" thingy is not a dollar sign. It's the British pound sign. £1200 will cost you about $1785, not including shipping from England. You'll easily be over the cost of a DVR or Jet by the time you get it to WA.

I had a swivel head on my Sears lathe. Used it that way maybe twice. For me, it simply wasn't that much of an asset for sanding, and for turning it was useless because of the cantilevered and articulated tool rest. Other brands will likely have better tool rests than the Sears lathe did, but unless it's supported by the floor directly underneath the rest, I'd still expect it to vibrate more than I like.

Bart, the little "£" thingy is not a dollar sign. It's the British pound sign. £1200 will cost you about $1785, not including shipping from England. You'll easily be over the cost of a DVR or Jet by the time you get it to WA.

Your right Vaughn but then again I knew that. I just didn't know the exchange rate.

I had a swivel head on my Sears lathe. Used it that way maybe twice. For me, it simply wasn't that much of an asset for sanding, and for turning it was useless because of the cantilevered and articulated tool rest. Other brands will likely have better tool rests than the Sears lathe did, but unless it's supported by the floor directly underneath the rest, I'd still expect it to vibrate more than I like.

http://docs.google.com/View?docID=d4b7vjd_20gb55hr&revision=_latest

I plan on something like the 3 one down from the top in the above URL. I think with some gussets welded in on black pipe & then painted to match the machine it should work great.

Say Vaughn how about those Zambus casters do they work pretty good?

Maybe they would make it easier to pull the tail end of the lathe out & then slide the head down to turn on a Grizzly G0632 or G0698.

Bart, the one made out of pipe looks good on paper, but I can guarantee it'll flex, especially with the long vertical member under the tool rest that's not supported from side to side movement.

I have the 9" long extended tool rest post shown in the first drawing on the page you linked to...the factory tool rest extension from Powermatic. It is solid steel, about 2" in diameter (I'm guessing). It still flexes and vibrates enough to be noticeable. The 1" pipe in the photos would be a lot more flexy than my 2" solid steel.

The Zambus casters are great. :thumb: Pricey, but great. Great Lakes sells a similar product, too.

Bart, the little "£" thingy is not a dollar sign. It's the British pound sign. £1200 will cost you about $1785, not including shipping from England. You'll easily be over the cost of a DVR or Jet by the time you get it to WA..

Yeah Vaughn and dont forget the import duties too Bart. The UK aint part of the lower 48 states :rofl::rofl::rofl: So you likely gonna pay a good few percent in customs duties like we do here in Canada and some for the brokerage fees for handling a import like that at that value. I would say you could easily add another $200 for that if not more.

I was looking at the swivel head + variable speed & wondering & thought it would work good in my small shop.

I need to be able to move it around & not struggle to do so as well as get the head in a position where I don't twist my back while working with it. Yes I would prefer variable speed as in Grizzly or Jet but $2000 as in Nova DVR isn't in the cards right now.

Grizzly probably makes the most sense because I can drive to Bellingham in less than an hour. You know how it is I just cant get the swivel head out of my mind, it just looks so handy.

Bart,
I know you want the VS, but the JET 1442 has a swivel head... it is a Reeves speed control system, but the head does swivel. Also the cost is around $1000... I got mine on sale at just over $800. I had similar problem as you... the way my shop is set up, I couldn't use the 1642 because of the sliding headstock even though I really like the VS too.

And from my past experience with international shipping, at 175 kgs, this will cost you about $300 to $400 shipping, plus the duties and customs clearance in U.S.... another $200 minimum. More if they fly it.

Last edited:
swivel head

With my G0632, the swivel head feature is really handy for me. Not that it is often used for heavy duty turning on very large objects. The usefulness is being able to avoid reaching. Turned to about 45 degrees, the standard tool rest, without extension, works just fine and is a huge back saver. I like, I like, I like. :D:D:D
Caveat: the head does not self register with the tail stock. The owners manual does warn, whenever the head stock is moved, you MUST realign with the tail stock. Not a big deal but a detail you must learn to use this tool happily.

With my G0632, the swivel head feature is really handy for me. Not that it is often used for heavy duty turning on very large objects. The usefulness is being able to avoid reaching. Turned to about 45 degrees, the standard tool rest, without extension, works just fine and is a huge back saver. I like, I like, I like. :D:D:D
Caveat: the head does not self register with the tail stock. The owners manual does warn, whenever the head stock is moved, you MUST realign with the tail stock. Not a big deal but a detail you must learn to use this tool happily.

Thanks Frank I had overlooked this when I read the write up on this lathe.

What is the method of alignment to get the head & tail lined up?

Thanks Frank I had overlooked this when I read the write up on this lathe.

What is the method of alignment to get the head & tail lined up?

Bart, my Griz G0462 swivels as well. I just put the drive spur in with the live center in the tailstock and line up the 2 points. It can be a pain, but simple enough.

for what it's worth. Having had swivel head with Reeves drive, fixed head with reeves drive, and fixed head with electronic variable speed lathes, I would happily pay a little extra and get the electronic variable speed and forego the swivel. The exception would be if it solved a back problem. I use the variable speed on every turning. When I had it, I used the swivel head on maybe two turnings in several years or ownership.

for what it's worth. Having had swivel head with Reeves drive, fixed head with reeves drive, and fixed head with electronic variable speed lathes, I would happily pay a little extra and get the electronic variable speed and forego the swivel. The exception would be if it solved a back problem. I use the variable speed on every turning. When I had it, I used the swivel head on maybe two turnings in several years or ownership.

Don and Jeff nailed it for alignment.
I don't understand yer comment about the back problems, Ken. However, on discussions about how high a lathe should be, I have noted some strange (as I see them) opinions. I am fairly short, 5'7", and like my lathe (at the spindle center) a bit high. OTOH, some tall guys say they like theirs lower. I don't git it. I like mine high to avoid bending or hunching over. Tall guys would bend and hunch a lot more than me. But, that's their preference. :dunno:
Whatever floats yer stick.

Ken the G0632 has both a swivel head & VFD:eek::wave::):D:rofl:.

Frank does the 1.5 HP seem like it has enough power? What's the largest turning you usually do. What's the largest diameter turning you've turned on this lathe?

Bart in Oak Harbor Washington dreaming of a shop with a back room just for turning with a roll up door the lathe & band-saw & a pile of wood. Throw me a line throw me a line help...................................................................................................

Last edited: