Shaper tooling.

Jeff Horton

Not sure where to post this but I guess this is good as any place since it is older tooling. Just got these in the mail today. One of those Ebay pleasant surprises.

cutters.jpg cutters2.jpg

I had found these and really needed some shaper tooling now that SIX is in service. Needless to say shaper tooling is not cheap. Bob Vaughn had recommended slip cutters and I have been watching cutters on Ebay for a while. Someone started listing a TON of Delta tooling, especially shaper cutters. I had my eyes set on this set because it had a raise panel cutter I am about to need. Plus all the other cutters that I knew I could use.

A quick look at cutter prices and realized that I better buy this set if I could. I made up my mind what I was willing to pay, then raised that up a bit just to be sure I got it and waited. As I said, I got them today and surprised to find they are all in good shape. No surprises on any of the cutters. The only surprise was the nice storage tray someone had made for them!

Jeff

You really really suck (not that there is anything wrong with that). I came within a hairs breadth of bidding on that and didn't do it.

Congrats on the acquisition.

I came within a hairs breadth of bidding on that and didn't do it.

Well I am glad you didn't! :rofl: Did you check out any of the other items that seller had? Still watching a couple of his items.

I was concerned about paying as much as I did sight unseen. But they were better than I expected. Anxious to try them out.

Yes, but I am a bit chicken of ebay (and the shaper for that matter). I have bought a total of 3 items (one on the way) of which one was good and one was not.

My first item, a Starrett dial caliper has I guess what you would call backlash and does not go to zero consistently. Paid $45 for it and didn't realize it for 2 weeks. Maybe it is something I am not doing right, but I suspect I will need to send it to Starrett. Oh well.

Second item I bought was a chisel, and it was exactly what I expected.

Let me know what you think of them. I haven't used insert cutters before and am curious as to how they do.

jeff, be really carefull setting up those cutters! they`re what i learned with "badger" brand......but that system of locking knifes has gone by the wayside `cause there where lots of accidents due to cutters not being locked down properly :eek: just take your time and don`t get distracted doing set up and you`ll be fine.....tod

Tod. I just didn't mention it but I have planned on some doing some reading on them before using them. Safety is another reason I was hesitant about buying this. I have found a PDF copy of the old Delta Shaper book and it talks a lot about slip knifes and I decided to read it again before I installed them.

Thanks for the advice!

Jeff

Last edited:
jeff, be really carefull setting up those cutters! they`re what i learned with "badger" brand tod
Hi guys,
Is that the kind of knife that is held in place by the down pressure of the nut on the collar, being set into a v shaped groove top and bottom?
Looks like you got some real nice profiles there, just be careful.
Shaz