Looking for suggestions.

John Jussel

Hello,

First, I would like to say this is a great site. I am more of a lurker than poster. I do more woodcarving than woodworking, but I thought I'd post some questions here first. I have just finished a relief woodcarving in butternut. It's somewhat small, about 6 3/4" x 10". I plan on putting a walnut frame around it. The walnut is cut and ready to go. I've never carved butternut before. First question is regarding finishing walnut and butternut. I was thinking about putting on Watco Danish oil natural on the butternut and maybe the walnut too. Would that be a good choice? Is there something better to finish with? Should I finish them before I glue the frame onto the carving? Or, should I glue the frame and then just brush on the oil over the whole thing? As far as gluing, do you feel the glue is suffiecient enough to hold? I plan on using Titebond wood glue. Or, do you think I need somekind of brad nail through the miter joints of the walnut frame. I was thinking the glue should be enough. Oh, and the last question is should I spray a sealer such as Deft over the whole thing after the oil dries?
Sorry for all the questions but just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
I just made a bed out of butternut for my granddaughter. Its posted here somewhere :huh:
I used BLO and wipe on poly. The experts will probably know best but I would think that glue would work just fine.

First off no pics no butternut carving no walnut frame.
No pics didn't happen:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
If it where me the edge of the butternut would be rabbited out on the back and the walnut would be grooved. Just like a raised panel and the frame would not be glued to the butternut but around the butternut. That would alow for any movement the butternut carving did.

As soon as I had sent my questions I thought I should have shown some pictures too. And yes, it is about time I've posted something. I just thought I have only been woodcarving and not really woodworking I didn't have anything to offer or ask, but I sure do now. I hope these pictures show up ok. My problem is that I do not have the proper tools (other than a bandsaw to make blank cutouts). A friend gave me some walnut today and made the miter cuts for me. I do not have a table saw or a router yet, the key word here is YET as I tell my wife) to make the so called raised panel like Chuck is talking about. What you see is what I have to work with. That is why I thought I would just try and glue it all up. So, the question(s) remain about the finish for this. Watco Natural danish oil and then a spray sealer?

Chuck, you did raise a good point as far as the butternut moving. I am not sure about that. I am hoping it will not because it is somewhat small in size. Maybe that doesn't make a difference though.

Oh, I should say that the dove design is from a pattern by Ivan Whillock from an older "Carving Magazine" I had. I plan on donating this to our children's annual school fundraising auction coming up on April 17th.

If you want to see some other carvings I've done you can go here: http://www.picturetrail.com/chipper67

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• IMG_0459 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0459 (Custom).JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0460 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0460 (Custom).JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0461 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0461 (Custom).JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Welcome into the light John :wave: :rofl: :rofl::rofl:

Dunno why you do not consider your carving as woodworking, you are working with wood, which most of us do too, but you are making wonderful, beautiful things, which I only do on occasion, usually by mistake :doh: :rolleyes: :D

Can't really add to the good advice you have already received.

Cheers!

Some call butternut 'white walnut'. Bad moniker, IMHO. It cuts and carves much differently than walnut. I like your relief carving.
Many carvers do not put any finish on their carvings. I won't suggest do or don't. If you do, a single coating of rattle can lacquer should protect well without changing the appearance.

Great carving, well proportioned and filling all the space. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Seems that doves are getting popular around here;)

My only criticism if I may is that I would have undercut more the contour of the dove, this would cast more shadow lines and make it visually pop out more.

Thanks for showing us

Welcome into the light John :wave: :rofl: :rofl::rofl:

Dunno why you do not consider your carving as woodworking, you are working with wood, which most of us do too, but you are making wonderful, beautiful things, which I only do on occasion, usually by mistake :doh: :rolleyes: :D

Can't really add to the good advice you have already received.

Cheers!

What he said! Welcome to un-lurker status!

I aint qualified to offer solution but i do admire what you have done. I agree with Stu here you a woodworker like it or not.:D:rofl:

Seems you have the posting thing down and even managed the pictures. Now you can do it again.:):thumb:

Nice carving and Welcome to the site.

This is how I would handle the finish you are attempting.

use BLO 50/50 thinned apply 1 coat a day 4 coats, set in teh sun for a good 4-5 hours after you put the coat on this will cause the wood to take on a beautiful golden tone. After 4th coat rub down with an abrasive pad with a mixture of comit and turps mixed to a cream. Then clean and apply a full coat and let dry.

If you want other tips let me know.

Well, here it is. The picture is not the best, sorry. I ended up using two coats of a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil with Watco Danish oil natural. And then I sprayed 3 light coats of a Minwax poly on it. Also, I should say I just used Titebond wood glue for the frame. I think the glue will be fine. I did put a masonite backing on it too. I just hope some people want it bad enought to get in a bidding war over it and it raises some money for our kid's school. We shall see.

John

Attachments

• IMG_0476 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0476 (Custom).JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 16
Ditto what Vaughn said!

Looks great and I can't imagine someone not wanting it! :thumb:

I just took a look at the pictures link you posted and you've got some other wonderful carvings!

Definitely counts as wood working. Heck you should see my 'primitive whittlings' I do on camping trips. I think my dog makes better carvings chewing on sticks than I can make.

You've definitely got an eye and talent for finding the forms hidden inside of the wood!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Carol, the auction will be here in Yankton, SD on April 17th. It is the Sacred Heart School's annual fundraising Gala auction. I believe you have to be present to bid on an item. My carving will be on the silent auction. When you attend the auction you are given a number and you use your number when you place a bid on an item.

John Jussel