one-winged screwdrivers

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I am OK to use my right hand, but not my right arm, and no lifting. Elbow has to stay within 4" of my body. Right! I'll keep it below my bra line! :D I can scratch my nose but not comb my hair! I am learning new skills with my left hand and arm! :rolleyes: I can live with that for a while, but there are things to do!

I have a bunch of outlets and switches to replace in my kitchen re-do. Turning a screwdriver hurts my shoulder and I just can't do it with my left hand. So...

I have been looking at this at Home Depot. Its $40. They also have a B&D for $20 and a Skil for $30. Each are 4V Lithium. I think it is B&D that also twists for weird angles. I like the pistol grip feature and no twisting the arm. :thumb:

Comments?

Attachments

• ryobi.jpg
    ryobi.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 18
I've got that exact model.

Seems to work great so far. It's even got a 'torque limiter' like on a real drill.

That being said, they work great for general screwdriver type work, but don't expect it to hog a #10x3" screw into wood without pre-drilling for the screw...

Last edited:
You know, you might want to pick them up and handle them to see which one fits your hands better.

The little skil one I have works great as well. Had it for several years and use it for all kinds of tasks. It's grip is a little smaller than the Ryobi.

But I agree with Frank, With the lithium cells they all seem to perform pretty well and I have no complaints...

We've had the little Skil for several years. My wife actually uses it more than I do, but it's really handy. Once charged, the battery holds its charge for months between uses - doesn't 'leak down' like NiCads do.

The only drawback is that the battery taks several hours to charge, so once it's down, it's down for a while.

Overall, a nice little tool, though.

You know, you might want to pick them up and handle them to see which one fits your hands better...

Ditto this. I have a little Metabo version, I think a bit smaller than the one Carol showed, but the grip is wide or thick enough that it's not real comfortable in my hands. I bought it on sale from the Rockler website, but had I handled it in the store first, I probably would have kept looking. Aside from the grip size, I have no complaints about the Metabo whatsoever. The shelf life of a charged battery seems to be forever. I usually only use mine when I'm setting up and tearing down my show booth display, so it only gets used a few times a year, but I only have to charge it about once a year.

Had to run into town today to pick up palm fronds for Palm Sunday services tomorrow. Couldn't resist a stop at HD. They only had the Ryobi and the B&D with the Li-on battery. The Skil had a Ni-Cad 3.2V. Both the Skil and the B&D had a slip in but not locking "chuck" for the driver. The Ryobi had the locking chuck like my Makita impact driver. Now I can use the magnetic bit holder to hold the screws.

So I popped for the Ryobi. Gotta get back to church prep for tomorrow, but Monday I will play with the new toy. It'll be fully charged by then! :rofl::rofl:

can you still buy screw-holding screwdrivers like you use when doing electric work