Sawmill in action

Paul Gallian

In Memoriam
Tried to post this in Tutorials -- not allowed -- so I tried here--
Photos may not come out in order?

This was a B. Walnut log that had a big "S" shaped hump.
Very little heart wood but it is wood... (my disclaimers)

last photo in this series my iPhone did hit the ground... loud and profound words were spoken!

Last edited:
Looks very cool, Paul. Roughly how many board feet does a log like that yield? Looks like you've got plenty of wood growing in the background to keep you as busy as you'd ever want to be.

BTW, I dunno that this would be a tutorial (which would generally be more of a step-by-step description than a pictorial), but if you'd like, I can move this thread over to the Flatwork Project Showcase over in the General Woodworking area. (It's fine here in the OT area, if you'd prefer, but I'd say it's a project worth showcasing.) :) In either location, I suspect it'll still get more views than it would in the Tutorials section. ;)

BTW, I dunno that this would be a tutorial (which would generally be more of a step-by-step description than a pictorial),

I did have a description step by step but could not get into the Tutorial section.

Here is fine too many words/work to make it clean what is going on in each photo for a tutorial anyway.

Thanks for the offer --
Ans. to other question

Since I plane my own boards (not for sale) I leave them about 1 1/4" thick
These were about 10" wide and 10' long. --about 8 good boards.

these are all free to me -well almost free-- taxes on the land - cost of mill and my time.
The positive side is I really like doing this -- not all the time but when the mood hits.
This was not a good log but I did not want to split it for fire wood. Notice the cut logs ready to be split (don't like to burn Walnut anyway-- too much ash)

We are going to log the mature trees when the log prices go back up - soon I hope. Working with our state Forester now. 100 acres of w.oak, red oak, walnut, few sycamore tree to be harvested.

Bob,

It is fun! would be more fun if I had a friend that enjoyed it also - To share the work and the lumber...

Aluminum Cant hook maybe a Peavey it is a little over a year old -- I have several others with Ash limbs for a handles..

This one has a long point on the end which allows me to use the mills (frame) to lever the log over.. to dog it down..

I did have a description step by step but could not get into the Tutorial section.

Here is fine too many words/work to make it clean what is going on in each photo for a tutorial anyway.

Thanks for the offer --

You'll notice that all the posts in the Tutorial section have been made by me or one of the other forum staff members. We set that section up to only allow Mods and Admins to post there. That keeps from having comments posted there...we wanted to keep that area limited to just the tutorials. For future ones (or this one if you want to edit your original posts to include the text), you can go ahead and post it as a regular thread somewhere like here or the Flatwork Project Showcase where other people can comment on it, and I'll make a copy of it and put it in the Tutorials area, with a link added to point people to the original thread so they can read the comments if they want to. :thumb:

You'll notice that all the posts in the Tutorial section have been made by me or one of the other forum staff members. We set that section up to only allow Mods and Admins to post there. That keeps from having comments posted there...we wanted to keep that area limited to just the tutorials. For future ones (or this one if you want to edit your original posts to include the text), you can go ahead and post it as a regular thread somewhere like here or the Flatwork Project Showcase where other people can comment on it, and I'll make a copy of it and put it in the Tutorials area, with a link added to point people to the original thread so they can read the comments if they want to. :thumb:

Thanks for the info..

Thats a great set of pictures you got going there Paul...

I'm jealous for 2 reasons.

1) well, the saw mill, duh! :thumb:
2) Having trees around to use it on! :rofl:

Aluminum Cant hook maybe a Peavey it is a little over a year old -- I have several others with Ash limbs for a handles..

This one has a long point on the end which allows me to use the mills (frame) to lever the log over.. to dog it down..

if it has a long point on it its a peavey, the cant hook has the flat tooth on the end,, whats the max your mill will cut in log width? and where did you get the peavey at we need to get a cant hook like that our wood ones are gettin pretty beat.

Larry,
The mill specs:
EZ Boardwalk
Total mill length (with tongue) ...................................................23 ft.
Frame length ..............................................................................20 ft.
Height ........................................................................................94 in.
Weight .................................................................................1,700 lbs.
Frame material ..................................2 x 6 channel iron, 5/16 in. wall
Space between guides...............................................................34 in.
Throat.........................................................................................12 in.
Maximum log size ......................40 in. diameter by 16 ft. 6 in. length
Band wheel diameter ................................................................19 in.
Blade........................................................14 ft. 6 in. by 1-1/4 in. wide
Cutting speed ......................................................................5,800 sfm
Motor .............................................................24-hp Honda, air-cooled
Trailer hitch ball size....................................................................2 in.
Setworks .................................................................................Manual
Hydraulics ..................................................................................None
Price .......................................................................................$6,650 includes wheels and axle, log turner and leveling stands
Options.................................................track extensions, lap siding and shingle attachment. Edward also sells a sharpener, cant hooks, and the LogWizard chain saw debarker. The mill is also available with the smaller 20-hp Honda engine and without the trailer package at a reduced price.
MANUFACTURER EZ Boardwalk Manufacturing 7959 Shelby 348, Emden, MO 63439
Phone ............................................................................573/633-2135

Price may have changed but not much.... a lot of saw for the money..I shopped for a very long time before I purchased this saw.

Larry,

Every year in Springfield Mo-- there is a LARGE Ag Show -- Several of the big boys that make/sale bandsaw mill are there demoing there mills.

Ez- boardwalk is there also and the Amish owner is also there and he brings assesories that he sells that is where I purchased the Peavey. Mill one year - band sharpener the next and the Peavey the next. Not cheap but well worth it. much better than my 100 year old cant hooks.

the following website and many others sell the Aluminum peavey.

http://www.benmeadows.com/search/LogRite/21828/?type=brand