Buckeye small Vessel

Dan Mosley

I spent part of the day turning and playing around with a small piece of Buckeye I had (see picture below). Turned it much thinner then i was originally going to but it was cutting so nice and i could feel the cutter on the hollowing rig slicing easily. I adjusted the laser to cut thinner because the wood was cutting so good. When I was done and parted it off i was suprised to feel how light this wood is.....like feather light.......LOL
Picture below shows it with 1 coat of DO on it.......I like how the buckeye has all those voids and colors scattered all over it....lots of character ya know..............more later when i put the finish coats on ....
thanks Dan

Attachments

• buckeye-vessel.jpg
    buckeye-vessel.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 74
yeah your right - I would not want to drink out of it............LOL

I used linseed on the inside of it but the camera and lighting seem to show a white inside,when actually the inside is similar to the outside. I have some linseed in a bottle that i use to coat the inside of my vessel with after turning and then coat the outside with AO or DO. Then i just leave them sitting out on a wood shop table in the garage and let them air dry for a week or more before i start my finishing. I have been doing this for a bit now and no cracking or checking but then again the summer heat is not here yet so........we will see................always experimenting......LOL
Just a note - regarding buckeye - this stuff can fly apart easy when turning due to voids, punky areas etc----if it looks like that is going to happen I use painters tape (blue or red stuff) and wrap it on the lathe. Do not use duct tape-----guess how i know that......LOL - the tape will hold everything well and when the hollowing is done and you remove it the inclusions will show nicely...........anyway thanks............Dan

Vaughn - I did get some cutters from Enco with colbalt they were almost the same price and your right I don't notice a difference in cutting and im not sure if it holds a edge longer - it may..... The buckeye cut easy v. the mesquite i usually turn that is drier and harder to cut. Buckeye is truly green whereas the mesquite has been sealed and sitting for close to a yr now and I can tell its much drier. Actually, I don't bother with bagging/boxing etc with the mesquite now I just turn it and do the above and for this wood it works well - I will have to see if it hold true for the green buckeye (oiling and sitting that is)..........

Last edited: