and it only took me 7 years

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Here is the answer to the question, "What's he making all those drawers for?"

I began this project 7 years ago and for the majority of that time the cabinets lacked face frames, doors and drawers. Being presently unemployed, I have more time on my hands, and I want to be able to sell the house some day, so I thought it was high time I finished it.

Some issues I ran into.

• I was tempted to tear the whole thing out and go buy furniture. :eek: But, there was no way any furniture was gong to afford me so much storage space.
  • I seem to have gotten to be a better woodworker over the past 7 years because I found a lot of mistakes!:rofl: None of which I corrected. I just wanted this project to be over.:doh:
  • Pine darkens with age. Oh well. In about 5 years maybe it will all start to look the same. I just did not want to go through the hassle of trying to match everything up.
  • Lastly, I don't feel bad about not fixing errors or matching color because I know that there is a 50% chance the next owner will rip it all out anyway.:rofl:
All totaled there are 8 large drawers under the bed and a storage door/area in the end that is about 20" square and 6' deep. The two night stands have a total of 6 drawers, and the built ins have a total of 24 ranging in depth from 8" to 1 1/2". The cabinets are all 21" deep and range in width from 23" to 28". Lots and lots of storage!

DSC_0015.jpgDSC_0016.jpgDSC_0017.jpgDSC_0018.jpgDSC_0019.jpgDSC_0020.jpgDSC_0021.jpgDSC_0022.jpgDSC_0023.jpgDSC_0024.jpg

WOW Rennie, nice to see the pieces and parts as a final project, nicely done, great design, color, fit, finish etc, etc, etc:thumb: yep GREAT job Rennie:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Well if we look at it that way Tom you come in second Ned gets third for the shop build and Rennie gets the first prize so far foe longest build:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
So if your looking for the top prize there Tom you better back burner that kitchen for 6 or so years:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well if we look at it that way Tom you come in second Ned gets third for the shop build and Rennie gets the first prize so far foe longest build:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
So if your looking for the top prize there Tom you better back burner that kitchen for 6 or so years:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well the jury is still out. Lou Ann still is wanting her kitchen remodel.:eek::D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Well Rennie. I can't see the mistakes you mention, and if they are there they must not be as big or serious as you mention. Don't be too hard on yourself.

When things are made in hurry and they start being used even when they are not finished these things happen. I'm glad that you decided to finish them, and as you say even if the next owner doesn't want them, at least they will the house look much better and that affects price.:thumb: