commercial post or not?

Let's say I make my own WWing tools. Let's further say that they turn out really good and I make more to sell for others.

Would it be acceptable for me to then post in-progress project pics using said tools in one of the non-commercial forums?

I'm assuming that if so, the closest I could come to actual solicitation would be something like "Please see my post in Commercial Products (link) for more information on the whatchamadohooey used in this project."

Mark, I think that would be acceptable. We would all love to see the process of creating a new tool and if it went well enough that you started taking orders...you could ask to post in the commerical forum to sell it...

So...do you have something kicking around in your head to make :dunno: or just asking for some clarification? Remember we like pics! :wave:

to me the involvement of a person in the forum doing/helping others with actual woodworking is going to carry lots of weight as to how i`d vote on wether or not they were "commercial".
if somebody who is a regular contributor started up making widgets and went so far as to document the widget manufacturing process then i could see leaving the creation thread in the appropriate forum and even including a link to the commercial zone.

but if "joe" want's to try drop-ship marketing through the general forums or shameless plugging of his widgets then i believe that wouldn't be in the spirit of the forum..

but i`m only one voice:eek:

to me the involvement of a person in the forum doing/helping others with actual woodworking is going to carry lots of weight as to how i`d vote on wether or not they were "commercial".
if somebody who is a regular contributor started up making widgets and went so far as to document the widget manufacturing process then i could see leaving the creation thread in the appropriate forum and even including a link to the commercial zone.

but if "joe" want's to try drop-ship marketing through the general forums or shameless plugging of his widgets then i believe that wouldn't be in the spirit of the forum..

+1 I'm with you on this one Tod

One other potential problem we've had recently is someone posting a "Hot Deals" notice, and referencing a link to a site where he gets a commission for every sale made through the link - essentially using the forum 'for profit.'

These links came from a new member, apparently using a false name, and posting from a url halfway around the world, with a link to a U.S. enterprise.

Probably shouldn't be allowed, eh?

Your example, Mark, would probably be okay. You could post the tutorial/documentary, then link to an ad you'd post in the Commercial Zone, making your sales from there.

+2 :thumb:

Mark, I think that would be acceptable. We would all love to see the process of creating a new tool and if it went well enough that you started taking orders...you could ask to post in the commerical forum to sell it...

So...do you have something kicking around in your head to make :dunno: or just asking for some clarification? Remember we like pics! :wave:

I'm making some marking tools (sliding bevels, marking knives) with some help from a machinist friend. I'm also taking some accounting classes and noted that even adding some labor, a fair sale price would be under current new market pricing.

Having said this, I don't know if I'll go to the sale step, but was inspired to ask after reading about the Amazon affiliate pay-per-click links.

+3 For me too.:D:thumb: