Why is it . . .

Jim Mattheiss

Why is it that when you order equipment, accessories and a mobile base, the equipment ALWAYS arrives first? :dunno:

I ordered a Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw and a 6" riser block from Grizzly.
I ordered a HTC 2000 Mobile base from Rockler.

The saw is currently scheduled to be the first thing to arrive . . .

In a perfect world I would assemble the mobile base, set the saw stand in the base and then set the saw on the stand and install the riser.

I need to get a good general purpose blade to start - we'll see how nice the blade included with the riser kit is.

It could be a fun week . . . :wave:

Cheers

Jim

Stealth gloat on the new saw, huh? :thumb:

You will love the saw. Factory blade is so-so. Keeping mine for that chunk of wood that just might have a nail in it. Call Ellis Manufacturing for blades. Great stuff.

Steve: Yes - calling Ellis for a variety of blades is on the radar.

Frank: I didn't want to reply as it would get political - so I'll just shut up.

Mark: No thanks - I'll put up with the irritation. I picked up my table saw on CL and didn't even use it for 6 months.

It beautiful today, so I'm out cleaning the garage in preparation of the blessed event.

Cheers

Jim

It is a communist plot to make you crazy.

Frank I had to :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: back where i came from there was a time when everything was blamed on the communists. In the army we even got told the ice cream vendor was a communist putting drugs in the ice cream. Thats when we lost it.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jim nice stealth gloat. Dont forget Don is around and he is the picture sheriff right now.;)

Quick Status:

The riser block arrived yesterday.

The saw arrived today. It's been unpacked and the stand is assembled.

The mobile base will arrive in 2 days.

I'm waiting for the mobile base before I assemble everything.

Stand onto mobile base.
Saw onto stand.
Install the riser.

Hopefully the assortment of blades from Ellis Saw arrives quickly (they said they would ship today) and we'll be good to go.

I'll take some pic's tomorrow. :dunno:

PS : What's good to remove the cosmoline from the cast iron? This is the first new equipment I've bought with cosmoline on it. I have access to a Safety Kleen parts washer at LOML's work - that should work right?

I know gasoline will do it - because the manual say NOT to use it because it's dangerous to do so. That means it works great!

Cheers

Jim

PS : What's good to remove the cosmoline from the cast iron? This is the first new equipment I've bought with cosmoline on it. I have access to a Safety Kleen parts washer at LOML's work - that should work right?

I've used just plain mineral spirits with a small brush and paper towels. Seems to work ok.

OK, OK :doh:

I put the mobile base together last night and set the saw base in it.

When I went to install the riser block I realized I'd need a hand and some large wrenches / sockets. I threw in the towel for the night at that point.

The box of blades from Ellis arrived today so all the bit's and pieces have arrived. LOML and I installed the riser block. The top of the saw isn't as heavy as I'd have thought.

I spent about an hour or so adjusting the blade tension. I had to REALLY adjust that - there was NO way I was getting the blade on without some serious adjustment. It seemed about 1/2 inch to short. Lower the upper wheel a little and were back in business. The good news is that I now fully understand how to adjust the blade tension on this saw. I'm a School of Hard Knocks kind of guy. I need to learn to flutter tension the blade - but thats a task for tomorrow.

It's all together but I still need to tune it up and get the cosmoline off the table.

I ran it for a minute and it's really quiet and smooth.

For you picture police, I have one shot of it under the main carrying beam in my garage. It clears by about 2 inches while up on the casters. Whew . . .

Cheers

Jim

PS : Did anyone understand what Dave was referring to above? Translation anyone?

PPS: Brent - Thanks for the tip. I used a little DNA tonight but I'll try mineral spirits tomorrow.

Attachments

• Bandsaw.jpg
    Bandsaw.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited: