Annual Spring Ritual

ken werner

It's that time again. Each Spring I sand all our gardening tools with 120 grit paper, then rub a coat of BLO on them. The handles stay smooth throughout the gardening year, then before putting them away in the fall, they get the same treatment again. I have garden tools some over 20 years old that feel smooth and remain a pleasure to work with. Well, if you can call using a shovel a pleasure.

Attachments

• garden tools.jpg
    garden tools.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Varnish on a tool handle gets brittle and flakes. BLO just gets better over the years. I don't mind the sanding - it just takes a half minute per tool.

Looks great Ken. Nice to see those tool being looked after, I agree that the BLO would be nicer on the hands. I would love to have a garden to work in and grow some veggies in.

Now that you have them ready, I have my yard ready for you to give them a whirl. Any time you are ready, just let me know.... :thumb:

I have an assortment of wood-handled garden tools that I should try that on, Ken.

Jay, so far the only garden implement handle I've broken was fiberglass. :doh:

Come to think of it Vaughn me too. Guess we are just real turf men HUH!!!!:huh::D

It is tough going through life with this superhuman strength, huh?

By the way, while you're up, would you mind tossing me that refrigerator? I could use a cold drink and I'm too lazy to get up from the couch. :rofl:

Looks great Ken. Nice to see those tool being looked after, I agree that the BLO would be nicer on the hands. I would love to have a garden to work in and grow some veggies in.

Just add another story to that high rise you live in and put a garden up there! :thumb:

I have an assortment of wood-handled garden tools that I should try that on, Ken.

Jay, so far the only garden implement handle I've broken was fiberglass. :doh:

Come to think of it Vaughn me too. Guess we are just real turf men HUH!!!!:huh::D
I broke both wood and fiberglass, I guess that makes me a super superman

ken , let me ask you ; do you strip your hard wood floors with paint thinner and then apply a few new coats of wax also.

I always hated working with my grand paw's tools in the spring, always seemed to get that oil on my hands when I was a kid.