Calif Shaking - Vaughn You OK?

Pete Simmons

A magnitude 6.9 earthquake struck Baja California in northwestern Mexico on Sunday, shaking the ground at least as far away as Los Angeles, California, the U.S. Geological Survey and witnesses reported.

The quake struck at 3:40 p.m. PT and was centered about 175 kilometers (110 miles) east-southeast of Tijuana, according to the USGS.

Chandeliers swung and water sloshed around in swimming pools in the Los Angeles suburbs, witnesses reported, while posters to Twitter reported feeling the quake in Phoenix, Arizona.

I hope Vaughn's OK. I just saw this post and gave my brother a call. He's in Glendale. Unfortunately, he didn't pick up so I don't know yet how much he felt in that area.

Hope there wasn't much damage but I haven't seen any reports yet.

John

Most likely did not even wake Vaughn up from his afternoon nap :D

I do hope you are OK dude, for once it is not me everyone is worried about with turf surfing :rolleyes: :wave:

There's a bunch of our guys in and around the So Cal area... maybe we need a roll call or at least a check call from everybody.... per CNN no major damage reported...

CNN also reported a 4.2 up north around Sacramento... everyone from up there should check in also.

Larry and crew are probably too far north still to have noticed anything, plus driving..

It was a rolling quake (vs a shaker/jolt). We were watching tv and we felt it. My wife started to panick but it was not strong enough to make me get off the couch.

The chandeliers started swaying and the dining table started to move in a different direction than my chair. Since we're all Southern Californians we raised our glasses and had a toast.

Funny though, it gave me a headache just like getting seasick.

Happy Easter to all!

Last edited:
Being from the midwest, eartquakes aren't something most of us from this part of the country get to experience very often. We had one here in Michigan though about twenty years ago I think. It was pretty mild but I was upstairs on the second floor of our building while at work in the office and I felt one. It was a very strange feeling indeed! I can't even imagine being anywhere near a "big one". Then back in '93 my wife (girlfriend at the time) and a couple friends took a trip to Alaska for Thanksgiving. We went to visit her friend's sister who lived just south of Anchorage. We flew into Anchorage and arrived at around eight or nine o'clock local time I think. We got our bags and picked up the rental vehicle and headed to their place. We got up the next morning and before we had even had breakfast the darn house started to shake and it sounded like a train going by or something. It was bigger than the first I'd experienced but still not a big one. I'm hoping I never get the chance to feel one of those!

John

I felt it but only because I was sitting in a rocking chair. Someone else at our Easter get together happened to look out and see the pool and spa water moving. Other people who were standing around talking and such didn't notice.

It's apparent California i trembling with anticipation, waiting for the Tour de Wood to cross the border. :D

I was working in the shop with my BIL, and he said he thought he felt an earthquake. I reassured him it was just me shaking the bench we were standing at (I was cleaning up a rabbet with a chisel.) A minute or so later, LOML came out and asked if we'd felt it. I got the big ol' "I told you so!" from my BIL. :p

So at least at our house, it was nothing to get excited about. As my BIL commented, I'd rather have a mild one like this once a week instead of having The Big One. I like the small quakes because they relieve the pressure incrementally instead of all at once.

According to the CNN, over and over and over again, there must have been about 100 little quakes all up and down the coast this past week... ranging from 1.0 to 3.0 on the scale... she showed (Multiple-multiple) times the "google earth" maps that had little yellow dots all up and down the fault line... We even had a little one here in east Tennessee sometime last month or month before.. center around Maryville, just south of Knoxville. Didn't feel it myself.