Old Stamps....

Stuart Ablett

Boy I tell you, the post office guys cringe when they see me coming :D

too_many_stamps.jpg

We sent two boxes of stuff out to our daughter in Canada, and we used up some old stamps.

We are licensed to sell stamps and such just like a post office, we make no money on these sales, it is just a service that we offer (and a royal waste of time, IMHO :rolleyes: ) but my Monster-In-Law is......... difficult, she always buys too many stamps, more than we can sell, then the price of sending a letter changes and the 48 yen stamp, for example is kind of useless.

We recently found a huge bag, yes a BAG full of these old stamps, must have been the 3rd or 4th BAG of stamps we have found in the last 10 years. Some of the stamps are older than both my wife and I.....

tokyo_olympics_1964_stamps_1.jpg tokyo_olympics_1964_stamps_2.jpg
These are stamps that were issued in 1961 or the Tokyo Olympics that were held in 1964, so yes, we had these stamps lying around for 49 YEARS :eek: :doh:

They are still good, we can still use them, but man it takes a LOT of 5 yen stamps to make the postage on a big box like this :D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The one box has five of the six sides covered with stamps, only the bottom was left free of stamps.

other_old_stamps.jpg
Some other old stamps.

Not really free shipping, but sort of.

Oh, BTW, the old stamps, they are not worth anything, they were NOT rare, we did check, basically they printed millions of the things, and people hung onto them, hoping they would become valuable...... :rolleyes: :dunno:

Cheers!

We had sent something out in the mail recently, can't remember what, but apparently it was over 13 ounces. I had just used up some stamps and stuck it in the box.

Got a note from the post office saying that while they made an exception in this case, in the future, anything that big or bigger needs to go through the post office :bang:

Next time, I'll just sent it by my friendly UPS driver who stops by often enough anyway...

Question is, did you have to lick them all?
Man, you'll be tasting that stuff for a week!!!

Not a chance, we used glue and tape! :thumb:

I'll not be licking 49 year old glue on stamps, who knows what is in that glue, could be fish guts for all I know........... you know fish with mercury poisoning :eek: :rolleyes:

Hi,
I think here in the US you can exchange old stamps for new ones. Maybe your post office guys would like that idea?

Bob

We asked on the first bag, they said "No way" they have had our money for 49 years, they would rather we don't bother and then they get that money and don't have to work for it, but I don't care, I'll stand in the post office with a package that looks like it fell off a clown car, money is money, why the heck should I buy more stamps, we have BAGS of the darn things :dunno: :D

We had sent something out in the mail recently, can't remember what, but apparently it was over 13 ounces. I had just used up some stamps and stuck it in the box.

Got a note from the post office saying that while they made an exception in this case, in the future, anything that big or bigger needs to go through the post office :bang:

Next time, I'll just sent it by my friendly UPS driver who stops by often enough anyway...

The two boxes, one was $51 the other was $56, that is surface shipping, takes 6 weeks, if we went EMS, then they would both be over $100 each, and UPS would both be over $200 each :eek:

We get badly taken here on shipping out of Japan, BADLY taken :doh: :dunno:

The two boxes, one was $51 the other was $56, that is surface shipping, takes 6 weeks, if we went EMS, then they would both be over $100 each, and UPS would both be over $200 each :eek:

Yeah, I guess I need to factor in the additional postage. It's usually pretty close in cost here, especially if I factor in a 70 mile trip (35 miles to the post office from here) and the time it takes.

But it's nowhere near that bad! Ouch!

It's not cheap on customs clearance when you ship into Japan either... I had some pieces move from Houston to Oita... I landed the freight at Osaka and had to truck it.... I paid over $3000 per truck and had 5 trucks... that didn't count any of the loading fees, unloading fees, wharfage, taxes, customs duties or other expenses... fortunately I was only brokering the move.. no expense to me or my company.

Stu,

Since you already used them, I hate to ask this but did you check on the value of those stamps from a stamp collecting viewpoint? Some of those older stamps may have been worth significantly more than their face value! :eek: