What is that thing ?

Don Baer

Staff member
My Neighbor has cancer and his sister and brother in-law are visiting. The brother in law is a contractor in Hawaii and wanted to build a ramp so it would be easier to get the wheelchair in and out of the house. He came over and asked if he could use my table saw to cut some angles for the ramp so I gladly helped out. Said he's got a delta table saw he uses in his shop. I had the cross cut sled on the saw so I took it off and hung it up and spun the saw around to the rip position then I stood buy in case he needed any help. He asked me for a push stick which I gladly supplied him with, he had his own safety glasses. I turned on the dustcollector and played helper to him, he looked like he knew his way around the saw, I let him use my block plane and some chisels and he had no problem using them, even asked for my mallet instead of a hammer for the chisel. All in all he did a fine job. Later on I went over to see if he needed any help which he didn't then he asked me, "Say what was that thing you took off the saw and whats it used for". I guess contractors don't do a lot of crosscutting..:D:rofl:

Last edited:
My Neighbor has cancer and his sister and brother in-law are visiting. The brother in law is a contractor in Hawaii and wanted to build a ramp so it would be easier to get the wheelchair in and out of the house. He came over and asked if he could use my table saw to cut some angles for the ramp so I gladly helped out. Said he's got a delta table saw he uses in his shop. I had the cross cut sled on the saw so I took it off and hung it up and spun the saw around to the rip position then I stood buy in case he needed any help. He asked me for a push stick which I gladly supplied him with, he had his own safety gslaases. I turned on the dustcollector and played helper to him, he looked like he knew his way around the saw, I let him use my block plane and some chisels and he had no problem using them, even asked for my mallety instead of a hammer for the chisel. All in all he did a fine job. Later on I went over to see if he needed any help which he didn't then he asked me, "Say what was that thing you took off the saw and whats it used for". I guess contractors don't do a lot of crosscutting..:D:rofl:
Don most of the crosscutting we do in the field is done with a circular(skil) saw.:D:thumb:
Steve