Latest pen.

I apologize for the rotten photo's. They are a hurried embarrassment from a guy who used to run a dark room and has shot many 1000's of photos. :eek:

I wish I had a few extra $ to sink into a digital SLR. I get by with the Canon Powershot S3 but it is kind of sucky on close-up photo's It kind of drives me nuts because I used to do a lot of close-up photography and I hate not being able to get what I want.

I apologize for the rotten photo's...I get by with the Canon Powershot S3 but it is kind of sucky on close-up photo's...

No apologies necessary for the pics. ;) Have you tried taking the photo from farther away then cropping the shot? Your camera might pull a better focus from a couple or three feet away, then you could use the graphic editor of your choice to crop it as if you took a close-up.

I apologize for the rotten photo's. They are a hurried embarrassment from a guy who used to run a dark room and has shot many 1000's of photos. :eek:

I wish I had a few extra $ to sink into a digital SLR.
I get by with the Canon Powershot S3 but it is kind of sucky on close-up photo's It kind of drives me nuts because I used to do a lot of close-up photography and I hate not being able to get what I want.
Hi Paul; The S3 has both Macro (focusing from 10 - 50 cm, 4" - 20") and Super-Macro (focusing from 0 to 10cm, 0" - 4").

I shoot my pens with the S5 on either Macro or Super, and get what I feel are very good shots.
No real need for a DSLR. You've got a good camera there.

Here's my latest Macro shot on the S5.
attachment.php

Not meaning to hijack your thread. Just showing what the S5 does on Macro. I'm certain the S3 will do the same.

Hey Mack, Thanks for the reminder. I have used the macro setting a few times but have been underwhelmed with the focusing. I guess I better dig the manual up and see if I've missed something. I do need to figure this out because I have a lot of photo's to shoot for my website. I kind of miss the old SLR focusing ability. Digital focusing is different in that the photos are often sharper than what you see "through the lens" (viewfinder or screen). It cuts both ways, you can't always tell if a photo is in focus with many digital cameras.

It's hard for me to change after so many years using manual cameras and being able to control exposure and focus with hardly a thought,

Hey Mack, Thanks for the reminder. I have used the macro setting a few times but have been underwhelmed with the focusing. I guess I better dig the manual up and see if I've missed something. I do need to figure this out because I have a lot of photo's to shoot for my website. I kind of miss the old SLR focusing ability. Digital focusing is different in that the photos are often sharper than what you see "through the lens" (viewfinder or screen). It cuts both ways, you can't always tell if a photo is in focus with many digital cameras.

It's hard for me to change after so many years using manual cameras and being able to control exposure and focus with hardly a thought,
Hi again Paul; Nice to have you accept my advice in the spirit in which it was given. It doesn't happen in all forums. I should have known it would happen in Family.

The manual is the proper approach, no question there.

My setup is nothing special. 2 6500K lights in a couple of cheap goose neck lamps and a couple of spring loaded clipon spots with 6500's as well. My backdrop is white paper from a roll.

Camera (on a tripod) set to M, f8 aperture, wide-angle, macro or super (I find macro a little easier for auto focus.) A green rectangle appears when you are in range and in focus. Shoot away!
I am no expert in the photographic field by any means (not even a good amateur), but a little read of the manual, and many practice shots (man, digital cameras are great, instant satisfaction by seeing the shot immediately). I'm good at taking pictures of my pens, any other type of photography it's P or Auto, I'm a point and shoot kind of guy.
Hope this helps to get you back on track.:)

Paul, great pen! It looks neat! And like Mack said, great job on taking his advice in the manner it was intended. I need to bookmark this thread as it has great photo advice. Thanks Paul and Mack!