1790's walnut table

This table had been painted a number of times and had a decorative painting over it. I was asked to refinish it. Once I stripped it and re-glued it I now need to clean the wood with a solution of Turps and alcohol and BLO 1/3-1/3 1/3 then seal with shellac 3 coats 50/50 then 2 coats full straight and then apply Blo 50/50 3 coats then 3 coats full straight and buff out. Sanding between each coat. This will give me an old world finish. I'll post pic's as I go a long.
This kind of table is my favorite or all furniture I only wish it were Cherry LOL
I also need to turn the bottoms of the 4 legs feet.

Attachments

• CIMG0001.JPG
    CIMG0001.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Dave, Just wondering, is the Shellac and BLO a period traditional finish for a piece like that?

I understand that the piece having been painted has probably lessened the value quite a bit over if it had been an original finish with the patina of age ans such.

I know nothing about finishing, so just looking to learn about how things were done.

Wondering if the new finish you put on it will help bring the value back up ?

It will bring the value back up but only to about half. Many of the finishes of that period were BLO or French polished for for high end pieces. Most of your pieces done in the US country style were BLO. While the high end furniture out of Boston, NY , Philly were French polished.

I have been waiting for a small piece to do to show my steps.

Looks similar to several tables that I have. I'll get a pic or two. Much of my home is furnished with furniture from the 1700's. Collected over the years as well as inheriting quite a bit from my mother.
What a shame that someone painted it.
When you are done with it it will be beautiful !!

LOL , if it were mine I would have been done a long time ago and in my home LOL There is not much value in small tables. There is not much value in antiques these days at all. I have some pieces that 4-5 years ago would have sold for 5-6K now selling for $4-800.00, mark is in the dumps.

According to some 'experts' (Roy Underhill, the twins, etc.), much old furniture was painted originally. Often the reason was the furniture was made from a mix of different kinds of wood. They used what they had and weren't particular.

Thats interesting. Makes sense.

I think what's sad though is when things get painted later. Like folks painting the wood trim in a craftsman bungalow, or old furniture, just because....

Thats interesting. Makes sense.

I think what's sad though is when things get painted later. Like folks painting the wood trim in a craftsman bungalow, or old furniture, just because....

Antique furniture dealers will tell you folks buy what they like. Unless you are into really top dollar stuff, they do what they want with it. I guess that makes sense. A $400.00 wardrobe stripped and refinished will not magically turn into a $5,000.00 antique if you don't do anything to it.

Brian , now your getting into Chemistry , I no squat about Chemistry. I do know that BLO will bight into Shellac for a bond. That's why you start out with 50/50 mix after a light sanding to open the shellac. and sand each preceding coat lightly for bond.
Kind of like doing an under coat bowls for Water gilding, starting off with higher percentage of hyde glue for the gesso and reducing the amount for the red bowl coat so that in the end you have just the right amount of glue needed to grab the gold leaf.

Period furniture which got painted was done with Milk paint. Mostly Country furniture. I've only seen a hand full of painted period pieces unless we are talking European furniture then we are dealing with Gesso coats and oil paint with BLO added and lead. I never stripped Eurpian cahirs only conserved them.

Last edited:
Sorry about not getting all the picks up , I did not get them. Things have been crazy around here , I'm not sure now about down sizing. I have a full shop loaded with furniture once again. Seems like times are changing. I asked the Lord to either load me up or cut me down He chose to Load me up. Just received a 50 piece job plus 2 kitchens to do alone with a number of small odds and end jobs.

Any way here is the table after shellacking and oiling and rubbing in 3 coats of fine walnut wax. I had to make new feet, all 4 of the lower feet were turned.

Before and after pic's

Attachments

• CIMG0011.JPG
    CIMG0011.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 40
  • CIMG0001.JPG
    CIMG0001.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 36