New Porter Cable 8" Variable Speed Grinder

Rich Aldrich

Last night on the way to the Superiorland Turners club meeting, I stopped at Lowes and checked out the new Porter Cable 8" Variable Speed grinder - 2000 to 3600 rpm. Although I have checked it out in the past, I needed to make sure that the Wolverine sharpening system could bolt under it. I had read a post somewhere that the Wolverine wont work on this grinder. It will and it does.

Now that I have it home, I mounted it on my grinding station tonight with the Wolverine grinding system as can be seen in the pictures below.

I sharpened several tools that I had just sharpened on my old 6" grinder. I was able to get a much better edge on the tools with the new grinder. The first thing I did to the wheels was dressed them with the diamond dresser.

The last shot shows the area that I have set up for turning. There is a debate going on in my head on whether the saw needs to move a little to the left. Actually, it really isnt in the way...... yet.

Attachments

• P3040572.jpg
    P3040572.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 91
  • P3040573.jpg
    P3040573.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 78
  • P3040574.jpg
    P3040574.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 82
  • P3040575.jpg
    P3040575.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 85
So Rich how does the grinder work? Any vibration in it? What grit wheels come on it? Are you gonna change them out? How much was it?

There is a little vibration. The wheels wobble axially a bit. The wheels are 36 and 60 grit. I plan to change them out. The first one will be 120 grit. I am not sure what grit for the second one. The cost at Lowes was $136 with tax.

I decided to combine storage with the grinder sand. The grinder should not vibrate, or at least that is my goal, so using the area underneath for storage shouldnt be a problem. I do have to make drawers yet.

It's funny how all the new PC equipment mysteriously looks like the Delta equipment it replaces :) I just picked up the 8" Delta at Lowes for $89 (closeout).

The tool mgr said something along the lines that PC has a better name in the home improvement stores (construction guys know PC) so Black&Decker (owns lots of tool brands) decided to rebadge a lot of the Delta equipment to PC. I see plenty of new tools in my future....

maybe ken fitz gerald wil lbe looking in here and see it:) or you could post the link to him on the other side bill:) that would get his goat:)

I was thinking of Ken when I posted. Where is he? I have not seen him posting lately. You don't think he has been too busy working on getting his shop organized do you?:D