Blackwood

neil mackay

Blackwood bowl 9.5"x2.75", 3/16" wall thickness, inertia sanded to 320 and then given a final polish with EEE gloss finish with Shellawax friction polish.
I might add that this is a local timber to Australia where I live, acacia melanoxylon, sorry for the confusion.

Attachments

• TCT cutter review 008.jpg
    TCT cutter review 008.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 52
  • TCT cutter review 012.jpg
    TCT cutter review 012.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 43
  • TCT cutter review 014.jpg
    TCT cutter review 014.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 41
  • TCT cutter review 015.jpg
    TCT cutter review 015.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Beautifully done! I have no experience with blackwood. Wonder where it got its name? Thanks for sharing ! paul G.

Great looking bowl Neil. All the elements work together so well to make a wonderful composition. The inward sloping rim is one I've been doing a little more of. Seems to make sense to folks. I also like the foot. It gives the piece that extra lift that really sets it off and shows it offf. The inclusions in the wood are great too, adding so much character. Just beautiful.

One question though. Are you sure about the wood? Really looks like pecan to me. The Blackwood that I have is really black except for the sap wood that is cream colored. Not saying you're not correct, just that my experience with blackwood has been much different than what this picture is showing.

I like woods with a rich red color and this certainly is it. Although I wasn't expecting that reading the title "Blackwood." Looks great, nice work Neil :thumb:

Blackwood can vary a great deal. We had a Blackwood kitchen in a previous house and it was much lighter in colour. I think the colour depends on the region its grown in.

I was at Choice Woods Thurs. night for our turning club meeting. He had a blackwood pen blank that was no darker than this example. I'm just amazed. Like I said before, I've never experienced blackwood that light before. It's always been black as the name implies. Still like this piece a lot.

One question though. Are you sure about the wood? Really looks like pecan to me. The Blackwood that I have is really black except for the sap wood that is cream colored. Not saying you're not correct, just that my experience with blackwood has been much different than what this picture is

I live in Sydney, Australia and so we have the acacia melanoxlon, probably you guys see more of the African dalbergia melanoxylon. The Acacia species grows all down the eastern seaboard of Australia and this particular piece came from South Australian and there is some variation from region to region. But what I have is and by fairly representative of our local species and by your description I would say you have the African species.

I have just heard it grows very well in California so much so its considered a invasive weed, so grab your chain saws and go 'west young man' :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_melanoxylon

http://www.gemwood.biz/blackwood.htm or Dalbergia melanoxylon

Last edited: