G0555 Bandsaw Table Question

Jim Mattheiss

Hello All:

I took delivery of my new G0555 Bandsaw this week and have assembled it. The table is square with the circle cutout in the middle and a slot cut "across" the table for blade changes.

The table isn't perfectly flat (it has a slight crown in the middle) and the 2 sides separated by the slot are not even. The rear "half" is slightly higher than the front, so a piece of wood "catches" as it hits the back lip. This doesn't seem normal to me. I do have the round metal pin in place that is intended to support the ends of the slot.

Is this just a bad casting or is this a familiar thing with other G0555 Owners. I have not reached out to Grizzly (will do so on Monday) but just checking in with the mind trust here on FWW.

I took the fence off the table and removed the table from the saw, but it's still "tweaked" that little bit.

Other than this minor issue, I'm thrilled with the saw. . .

Cheers

Jim

G0555 table

I've had my G0555 for about 5 years now and the table is very flat. Just this weekend I have had my first problem with it. I need to change the blade bearings. I believe that you will have good luck with Grizzly and will love the bandsaw.

Grizzly will take care of that not flat table. Even their catalog shows their milling equipment to flatten tables that come from the factory less than perfect. They acknowledge 'stuff' happens.
As for the miter hitting the 'back' or rip fence holder/gauge, that is a major gripe all of us G0555 owners have. Why Griz does not redesign the unit to lower that just 3/16" is a puzzlement. I have learned to live with it, but, like having a nagging wife, not happily. :(

Make sure your pin is all the way in. Folks have noticed this in the past and resolved it by properly installing the pin. Some (like mine) have a hex head and are turned back and forth with a wrench while pressure if applied with a finger, others have a hinged little handle. Either way the action "walks" the pin into place and it feels pretty obvious once it is seated. If not, I am also confident that Grizzly will make sure you are happy.

Quick status update:

I talked to Grizzly again today after setting the pin fully and testing things last night. There is still a noticeable bump as you slide a piece of wood across the slit from front to back.

The tech support folks seemed puzzled and wanted me to send them pictures - which I have just done. I actually sent them some pictures and a video of me sliding a metal ruler across the gap and hearing it click and thump as it hit the lip of the rear edge.

I'm being patient for the moment as I fully expect to have them tell me tomorrow that the table is defective and they are sending me another. All bets are off tomorrow though.

The problem is even worse inside the miter slot - if you slide the miter guage the provided thru the slot, when the end hits the gap between the 2 halves of the table it really catches. I don't know much about cast iron, but it appears to have shifted since it was machined. . .

Cheers

Jim

Seems, to me Jim, that the casting may have been too "green" (not sufficiently aged) when it was machined, so it moved afterward.

It's defective, in my book. They should realize that soon enough.

I don't even have an alignment pin in my Delta 14". The table is very flat, in all directions.

Hope you get taken care of quickly.

Aloha, Tony

Another follow up:

Talked to them after they viewed the video I emailed them yesterday and they are warrantying the table. It should arrive in 5 - 7 days.

That should put that to rest.

This must be a very unusual thing to happen because the first call was almost a slam dunk - insert the pin and you'll be fine.

The second call was longer and they seemed to think - that just doesn't happen! What's he doing wrong.

After the video it was - how strange - that never happens - send him another table.

All's well that ends well.

Cheers

Jim

This must be a very unusual thing to happen because the first call was almost a slam dunk - insert the pin and you'll be fine.

The second call was longer and they seemed to think - that just doesn't happen! What's he doing wrong.

After the video it was - how strange - that never happens - send him another table.

All's well that ends well.

Cheers

Jim

That's good.
I'll betcha they will review QC procedures for that item.

Agreed. This has been a boo-boo of folks not seating (or even using) the pin on more than one forum and with more than one brand. I'm glad that they see that there truly is a problem and are reacting in typical Grizzly fashion.

Yes - the new table arrived some time ago and is perfect.

I have no idea what to do with the 19# piece of cast iron left over but I'll think of something.

I've used it for some little tasks and will use it to resaw some white oak shortly. That was the original task it was purchased for.

Thanks for all the replies.

Jim