Vac chuck woes

Chuck Beland

Well,
I got some good info from John so I have wanted to make a vac chuck so I glued up some corian & here's what happened.

I am so pissed. I found one o-ring of the right size so I turned the whole thing & got the depth of the recess perfect & the o-rings fit exactly right. Then I drilled the thru hole of 3/8" then turned it around & used a spade bit of 7/8" (the biggest I had to the size of the bearings,) Then I was using my Ci1 mini easy rougher & just taking out dust when the dam thing exploded. was I pissed so I shut off the lights & figured I would make another one tomorrow

Click for full size

Well,
I got some good info from John so I have wanted to make a vac chuck so I glued up some corian & here's what happened.

I am so pissed. I found one o-ring of the right size so I turned the whole thing & got the depth of the recess perfect & the o-rings fit exactly right. Then I drilled the thru hole of 3/8" then turned it around & used a spade bit of 7/8" (the biggest I had to the size of the bearings,) Then I was using my Ci1 mini easy rougher & just taking out dust when the dam thing exploded. was I pissed so I shut off the lights & figured I would make another one tomorrow

Click for full size

Chuck what a bummer. you'll have better luck tomorrow.:thumb:

Sorry to hear that bad news Chuck. Hope it works out ok tomorrow. Any idea what cause the explosion. I mean is there a fault in the casting of the material. You dont want it repeating itself again if you can help it after all that work. :(

I'm not sure why it exploded I got the 1/2" depth perfectly & needed to enlarge the hole about 1/8" I had to hold the mini easy rougher on it's side cause the steel shaft was touching the corian before the cutting edge.

I think maybe I didn't make the diameter that houses the bearing thick enough.
I think I'll add about 1/4" to it

Corian

Chuck, sorry to hear about your experience. While making mine, I experienced problems turning the corian. That's the reason I told you to go slowly and on the final measurements I used a file and sandpaper. Also maybe using the spade drill fractured the corian joints. Do you have a Fortsner bit? I feel that cuts evenly as compared to the spade bit. Better luck on you next try.

I think I know why it happened. I didn't rough up the corian with sandpaper. so it was way to smooth there was no adhesion.
\
Bruce,
Did you buy one?

Well,
I got to say thanks to John F for his help. After blowing up a few pieces of corian this is the finished product.

Attachments

• vac 1.jpg
    vac 1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 28
  • vac 2.jpg
    vac 2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 26
  • vac 3.jpg
    vac 3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 25
Paul,
Everybody is ready to go postal. right now with what is happening with the economy they want us to meet they're physically impossible time, & other stuff I'm giving my customers a show me & my boss screaming at each other in the middle of the sidewalk. :rofl:

Bruce,
with that much vacuum that doesn't sound like it should happen? what do you think the cause is?