Wine glasses

Chuck Ellis

I had a call from a wood turner up in South Dakota that saw a couple of turnings on my website... he called to ask a few questions and we've shared some turning information. He more or less specializes in wine glasses with wood stems. After a couple of conversations with him, I got motivated to do some more myself... I like to buy wine glasses at second hand, thrift and goodwill stores, cut the stems off and add wooden stems... so far this week I've got 4 sets done...

The foursome is a glue up of Black Chakate stem with a Precosia base.
The large globes are on Satinwood, The regular red wine pair are on Mesquite stems and the little 6 oz glasses are on Mulberry stems.
Except for the Mulberry stems, all are finished with sanding sealer and wipe on poly... the Mulberry has a spray lacquer finish.

Attachments

• 40-945-2.JPG
    40-945-2.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 40-958.JPG
    40-958.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 40-960.JPG
    40-960.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 40-964.JPG
    40-964.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 28
Uh oh, the price for second hand wine glass has just gone up...

But seriously, that's a great idea! and those look awesome.

Nice job on making the wooden stems match and mate up well with the glasses...

So, the question is, do you have a tutorial planned? :thumb: :thumb:

I had a call from a wood turner up in South Dakota that saw a couple of turnings on my website... he called to ask a few questions and we've shared some turning information. He more or less specializes in wine glasses with wood stems. After a couple of conversations with him, I got motivated to do some more myself... I like to buy wine glasses at second hand, thrift and goodwill stores, cut the stems off and add wooden stems... so far this week I've got 4 sets done...

The foursome is a glue up of Black Chakate stem with a Precosia base.
The large globes are on Satinwood, The regular red wine pair are on Mesquite stems and the little 6 oz glasses are on Mulberry stems.
Except for the Mulberry stems, all are finished with sanding sealer and wipe on poly... the Mulberry has a spray lacquer finish.

Now there neet.:thumb::thumb: never would of thought to do that. what do you use to cut the stems off with?

Uh oh, the price for second hand wine glass has just gone up...

But seriously, that's a great idea! and those look awesome.

Nice job on making the wooden stems match and mate up well with the glasses...

So, the question is, do you have a tutorial planned? :thumb: :thumb:

Hadn't thought about a tutorial, but I'll see what I can do.. may be a while before I can start.

Now there neet.:thumb::thumb: never would of thought to do that. what do you use to cut the stems off with?

I use a dremel with a cut-off disc... at high speed, just a short touch against the stem will cause the glass to heat and break right where the disc runs against the glass. Be sure you use safety glasses to cover the eyes.. you can get little chips of glass flying about. I usually cut over the garbage can or over a large paper bag to catch the cut off stems and bases.

Like those. :thumb:
I have tried shopping for wine glasses with little luck. The only ones I found were so expensive I wouldn't break the stems on.
Neat project, when I find some glasses, I'll make.