Making LOML's big desk - Finished

Don Baer

Staff member
Well I been working on this for a while so I figured I'd show some progress. LOML wanted a desk for the new house, she had some rather specific ideas about what it should be. She wanted a filing cabinet on the left, a work space, some drawer in the center another work space and then another 42 drawer file cabinet. when I drew it up in sketchup it turned out the top will be 9 Ft long and 24" deep. Here are the 2 file cabinets and the 4 drawer center sections. She very specifically specified no plywood, other then that she left the choice of materials up to me. The material is 4/4 white oak. One think I did for the first time was make the glue up for the drawer pieces as one continuous panel then cut them in the proper size for the drawer, this kept the grain running continuous. Thye pictures don't show it very good, but it was a challenge. I still have some sanding and clean up to do. Then I'll add the feet and do the top. The top will be a 2 piece glue up, my hardwood supplier was able to find me some nice 10 ft pieces of 4/4 white oak that are 14" wide. I won't fasten the top to the case work until we are in the new house in order to make this thing movable.

Dresser1.jpgDreeser2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Looking good.

Inset fronts.
Baltic birch drawers?
Half blinds?
Full extension slides.

No ply anywhere? Cool:cool:
What did you use for a bottom on the cases Don.

That is a very nice set of custom office furniture.:thumb: Running drawer fronts like that add a lot of class to a piece, like with using the same board on base or freize and having the grain run around the mitre. It is hard to tell but it looks like you also have the top rail cut using the matching run of the grain too. It all looks sharp Don. :D
Shaz

That is a very nice set of custom office furniture.:thumb: Running drawer fronts like that add a lot of class to a piece, like with using the same board on base or freize and having the grain run around the mitre. It is hard to tell but it looks like you also have the top rail cut using the matching run of the grain too. It all looks sharp Don. :D
Shaz

Thanks Shaz,
Here is a close up of one of the file cabinates. I still need to adjust the bottom drawer but you can see how the top rail, top drawer and bottom drawer all blend together. I'll adjust the bottom drawer before final finishing.

File cab front.jpg

Thanks for noticing

That's looking real nice, Don. If I had the time and money, I'd like to build myself a desk/command center for my office/studio. Maybe for the next house. :rolleyes:

Cool Don,

She's going to love it. Will the file folders be hanging? I ask because I wonder what method would be used. I've tried every which way... metal runners, extruded plastic runners, home-made wood runners, those drop in frames...

This week ends task was to put feet on the case work. Originally I planned on using some 8/4 2" tall with a slight taper. When LOML saw them she didn't care for the look and asked me if I could make something curvy. This is what I came up with. Foot 1.jpgI used some 4/4 2" by 3" I for the front and a 2x2 Piece for the back part. Cut them up on the scroll saw Foot 2.jpgand glued them up. They're fastened onto the case work with a 3/8" dowl to help with alignment during glue up.Foot on.jpg

This week ends task was to put feet on the case work. Originally I planned on using some 8/4 2" tall with a slight taper. When LOML saw them she didn't care for the look and asked me if I could make something curvy. This is what I came up with. View attachment 4310I used some 4/4 2" by 3" I for the front and a 2x2 Piece for the back part. Cut them up on the scroll saw View attachment 4311and glued them up. They're fastened onto the case work with a 3/8" dowl to help with alignment during glue up.View attachment 4312
Hi Don,
They like real nice, do you like them?
Sometimes we are led into unknown territory by others and that can be rewarding too. :D
Shaz

Don

I think they look great! And, of cours, if the customer is happy the cabinet maker is happy! :D

Jay

Well I Finally finished this project what with the moving into the New house, setting up a shop and a job change it got delayed but it's finaly done. 9 Feet long white Oak finished with BLO, Transting light OAK dye and several coats of Polycrylic. LOML love it and wasted no time filling it up.

Desk.jpg

As always comments critcs and questions are always welcome