woodworking vice, too many brands to choose from

allen levine

I need a vice. Im using a portable one from harbor freight, and I need to upgrade when I add another work bench. Its going to be mounted on a simple plywood and 2x4 work table, I prefer under table mount, and maybe 8 inchs.
I guess a quick release is worth it, but I dont own a vice so Im not sure if its a necessity.
Theres always vices on sale, from everyone, but Ive hesitated since I no longer want to purchase something then have to purchase a better quality later on.
I also dont want to spend 300 bucks Ive been watching craigs list, nothing great popped up in my area.
any suggestions?(if so, please include a model number)

I have a preference for older 10" wide cast iron construction with wood handles. The quick release is nice but probably more useful for production use. I bought mine on eBay. Had to keep the shipping cost in consideration as they are heavy beasts.

Wilton and Columbian are the classics. The old Jorgensens, Craftsmans and Monkey Wards are nice too.

Buying them used you can find a real diamond in the rough. A little elbow grease can get you nice vise that can barely be matched by most of today's products.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a pattern makers vise 5 or 6 years ago when a local tool supplier had a few old iron used ones for about $80. It wasn't the brand pictured, but that is what a pattern makers vise is. This kind of vise will rotate on three axes pretty much any way you want it to, and since I only have one vise on my do-all table, I wish it was a pattern makers instead of a traditional woodworkers vise.

Have you looked at used tool stores?

Quick release is nice. Doesn't affect the quality of work, but not having it can get irritating whenever you have dramatic thickness differences.

Allen I dont think you can go wrong with one of the LV quick release vices.

Here is a link.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=49980&cat=1,41659

On a side i was wondering when you would come round to determining that you need a decent bench and vice to do woodworking.:D;):thumb:

If you want to get the low down on workbenches and vices take a look in your local library for the Chris Schwarz workbench design book, or you could buy your own copy. This will give you more than you bargained for because it will also give you an idea of the bench its going to go on and the issues associated.

I would highly recommend that you dont piece meal this venture. Read the book and you will know what kind of vice you really want to do the things that you feel you want to do with the vice.

The big issue i came away from the book with was a real :doh: when one stops to realize that a bench is actually a clamping station to hold wood secure while working it. That said a vice plays a role. Then you want to consider that many workbenches have multiple vice.

I am saying this cause you indicated you did not want to have multiple go rounds on this one. If that is the case consider that the vice is only going to be as good as the bench you mount it on and the place you put it for the intended task.

Thats my 5 cents.:):D:thumb: Best of luck.:thumb:

By the way this is a small vortex too. It aint ended with the vice and the bench. Then there are the hold downs etc to go with it.

maybe a real work table eventually, I dont have a problem using my plywood tables.
I run into alot of time consuming clamping and attaching the little portable vice when I have to do some simple tasks, so a vice is something I need to save time.

alen,
when i built this house 2 1/2 years ago and set up the shop I saw no need for a dedicated woodworkerd bench..:rolleyes: Boy was I wrong. I am now in the process of re designing and enlarging my shop and one of the primary considerations is to have a proper woodworking bench with a couple of vises. If you are not going to build a proper bench now keep in mind that you will want one in the future so make don't skimp on the vise as you will want to incorperate into your big bench when you build one.
JMHO

Allen,

I picked up this nice Craftsman vise on the "bay" in 07, for about $95.00 including shipping. It's got a monster opening .

vise007600x450-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Someday, I'll built a proper bench to mount it on. Until then, it works just great. It's a quick release model too. That's even the original paint. ( That red paint on the bench was there before mounting the vise.)

Keep looking.

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
Allen,

If you're looking for a pretty good inexpensive vise, try one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94386

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Quick-Release-Vise-9-Jaw/G9851

I have looked at both these in person, as well as the one in a rockler store for that looks just like it. I think you can also find them under some brand in one of the home stores and woodcraft too, but I haven't seen those in person. All of these quick release vices with the slide up 1/2" x 1" keystock look identical to me that I've seen. I have the one from harbor freight and it's still doing fine after a couple years.

It's not the best vice out there, but it's pretty fair and a great value. I might buy another vise later on, but I imagine I'll always have some use for the quick release. It's just handy working on anything around the house, even if it wasn't for woodworking.

-Jeb Taylor

There is more to a vise selection than brand, quality, application, and availability are the deciding factors, not the name.

Decide what you want the vise to do and fit and location , etc. This will determine the function or application. Check for ease of opening/closing and the fit of the jaws ( a good vise has the left and right sides of the jaws meeting at precisely the same time... I have seen some expensive Wilton and others that the jaws are not parallel). Both left to right and top to bottom must touch simotaniously to ensure a good grip w/o needing grippers or teeth to hold material. When you decide on the style you want and compare the price you can afford and in some cases a bargain to be found, then you select the vise that best fit these needs.

I have corrected non parallel jaws on woodworke's bench vise with tapered wood pads.

My 2 cents....

I always appreciate sound advice.
Money is not a main issue, but since it is something I can buy used and save bucks on, Im still watching around locally, ads and craigslist.
My main use of a vice would be for holding small objects I need to sand or plane, and in the future holding drawer sides to make dovetails.
Im sure Ill use it for other stuff, but this is where I find the need right now.
I believe an 8-10 inch would serve me fine, and I like the idea of the quick release type.
If nothing comes up used in the next few weeks, Im planning a trip to PA to the grizzly outlet, this could be one item on the list.

HF Vice

Hi,

Glenn and I both have the H. F. vice Jeb placed a link to (I'm pretty sure that is butchered English language). Anyway, the vice is good enough that I am still using it after 3 years. It is not good enough that I would not take a better one at the drop of a hat.

Advantages as I see them:
Price
Nice size jaws. I have not had a task that made me open the jaws their maximum amount.
I added 2 inch thick wood jaws to the metal jaws.
The jaws are parallel left to right.
The jaws have a slight taper (top to bottom) to compensate for tightening.
I made a block to hold a 5 inch metal working vice in the woodworking vice.
I like the speed lever for changing opening size.

Disadvantages:
The speed opening lever needs some fiddling around to engave the thread after the speed part has been used.
I replace the metal dog in the vice with a wooden one to reduce wood marking.

I know Glenn purchased a more costly vice quite some time ago. However, he has not replaced the HF unit

Enjoy,

Jim

carol, excuse my ignorance, but the ones youre talking bout, are they the shop fox brand?(I dont know if shop fox is grizzly or not)
I was looking at the shop fox brand as one of my choices, the quick release one.

carol, excuse my ignorance, but the ones youre talking bout, are they the shop fox brand?(I dont know if shop fox is grizzly or not)
I was looking at the shop fox brand as one of my choices, the quick release one.

Allen, Griz sells a lot of Shop Fox tools, as do other stores. There seems to be some kind of kinship between Griz and Fox but I don't know what it is.

I have had them for a long time, so I expect they are the Grizzly brand. They are a quick release model, though.

FWIW I have faced the jaws with HDPE in two of them. The third is faced with MDF as I had HDPE packed away and I needed that vise. I will probably replace them later but no ill-effects just yet and the price of MDF is right. I also keep the rods waxed. I replaced the thumb screw for the dog with a knob. It is easier for my arthritic fingers to handle.

groz brand

I found an 11 dollar balance of a woodcraft gift card I didnt know I had.
woodcraft is offering free shipping.
Is it a wise choice to get the groz brand 7 or 9 inch vise over the shop fox?
similar prices.