New to me 8" Jointer

Yes it is true I now have an 8" jointer :) I am a frequent craigslist browser, (just incase there's something I shouldn't miss out on ;)) and a couple of weekends ago I searched "drum sander." I am always looking for a good deal on a used drum sander. They are so darn expensive but would be a great addition to any shop. Well during my search I come across a page that says "cabinet shop auction." :eek: :eek: :eek: I've never come across this yet. Turns out I knew right where it was, the place is only about 7 minutes down the road from me. I thoroughly browsed the website and pinpointed the items I wanted, how much they were being sold for used, and what I was willing to spend. So I showed up with my cousin who is also into some woodworking. There was certainly heaps of useless junk, but also some good stuff. You could tell the owner must have taken home a bunch of stuff and kept it for himself. I don't blame him. But the reason I say this is because there were only a couple of crummy cheapo Harbor Freight drills that didn't work, no miter box but a table set up for one, etc.

There were really only 2 big items I had my mind set on. One was the Grizzly G0458 Drum sander. The other was a Delta DJ-20 8" Jointer. Of course there was tons of other stuff I probably should have gotten (went for super cheap), but I'm proud to say that I controlled myself and only got what was priority on my list. This past year has been terrible with work so I tried to watch what I spent.

The Grizzly drum sander finally came up and I got very excited. This is the first live auction I've been to and yes it is with the guy that talks really fast and tries to get you to go up higher. He started the bid at 500 and no one was doing anything so it went down to 200. Thinking I'm going to get this for really cheap now I put my sign up. I was wrong. With all of the large equipment I learned very fast that there's a pattern. No one starts at the opening bid so that he lowers it. Then people start bidding against each other and it climbs very quickly. Long story short I went upto $450 and the guy I was going against said $475. Before the auction I gave myself a limit of $450 so I stuck with it, just couldn't do $500. It still would have been a good deal though.

But about an hour later came the Delta jointer and I won it for $550 :) :) :) I know it's not the brand new model, but the new DJ20 sells for about $1800. And used I found people selling this for about $1,000. So I'm pretty excited. It certainly has marks of being used, but all in all this thing is in pretty good shape. The blades seem good, no major knicks, and it even came with an extra set of new blades. There are also 2 handles missing. One is on the left side to loosen the left table so it can be adjusted. The other is the one to loosen the fence so it can be tilted to various angles. I should have no problems fabricating something for both, though. Now the only thing is it's 220v and I don't have that wired up in the shed, but the drummer in my band is an electrician and he said it will be no problem since there is already a sub-panel in the shed. He's on vacation in Mexico this week though, so I'll have to wait a little while before I can fire it up :)

Almost forgot to mention... my cousin and I also bid on some melamine. We are going to split it. For only $10 I got 6 sheets 4'x8' of 3/4" melamine! Also in the stack was about 30 rips of 1/4" melamine about 1'x8'. I figured those would be nice to hang onto for various jigs or whatever comes my way. There were also 2 rips, about 1'x8' of 3/4" MDF veneered with Cherry. All that for $10 I'm pretty excited. Thanks for looking everyone :wave:

Attachments

• Jointer1(600 x 450).jpg
    Jointer1(600 x 450).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Jointer2 (600 x 450).jpg
    Jointer2 (600 x 450).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 52
You sir, are a master in the ways of Craigslist!

Congrats, it sure seems like you've got a great deal!

Congratulations Westley you sure hit a bargain there. Thats a scoop if ever there was one. Well done on the restraint you have more discipline that me.:):thumb:

By the way you should be able to wire up that motor for 120v as well. But it will probably mean a breaker upgrade on the panel for the receptacle you use it on.

I think your buddy giving you a dedicated 220v receptacle for it is a better idea.:thumb:

Or if you have a dryer outlet, you could always rig it up to hook up to that...

My Compressor and tablesaw are both 220 and I've been using a 220 volt 'extension cord' for the last several years off of the dryer....:rolleyes:

Congrats on your new jointer. I have the same one and have been very happy with it.

Ditto on Brent's post about a 220 volt extension cord, I do the same thing for my jointer and planer. It seems like the motors spin easier.

Cheers,

Last edited:
That's a heck of a price for that jointer, and you pretty much stole the melamine. Sounds like a very productive auction. Congrats. :thumb: