Need your prayers and crossed fingers

Bruce Shiverdecker

In Memorium
Saturday, I got a call from one of my galleries. They asked if I would be able to make 400 pen & pencil sets, with a desk stand, using reclamed wood.

I have a lot of Cherry that came from a downed Black Cherry Tree. I have reclaimed it from being burned. In my mind that is "REclamed".

I'm waiting for an answer - Yes or No.

Someone here got a similar bid last year. If they would be willing to PM me , I have several questions,

Thanks,

Bruce

That is a great offer. First thing I would do is get their definition of "reclaimed" wood. You don't want to risk your thinking that cherry qualifies turning into a rejected shipment of 400 pens because they had something else in mind. Personally, I don't know what the definition of "reclaimed" wood might be other than salvage from a torn down building.
Of course, that many pens turns into manufacturing. But, for the money...wat the hey? Take the money and be creative later.
Do be sure to get paid sufficiently to reward your talent and work.
And, a big CONGRATS. :thumb:

Since they're specifying "reclaimed wood," will they be supplying it? I'm thinking perhaps they have an old building, or a tree, with some sort of sentimental value to them that they'd want you to use.

Just guessin'.

:thumb::thumb:
I got some PT from an old deck you can use.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
That would be reclaimed. Shoot I even turn 200 of them for a price.:thumb::rofl::rofl:

Bruce good luck with everything, that sounds like a sweet deal :thumb: Nothing like getting paid to do what you love. What kind of finish are you going to put on all of them?

If you can stand the production work it will be a sweet deal. If you've never done this kind of work before, you'll know whether you can stand it or not by the time you get done. Enjoy t the best you can. The scratch in your pocket will be nice regardless.

Congratulations! But I would get that thing about "reclaimed wood" clarifyied, sometimes they expect cheaper prices because the wood cost ou nothing:dunno:

Like Frank said "... get their definition of "reclaimed" wood"

Trees saved from a wind fall are a "Windfall". I consider them Bonus woods" Barn lumber, Razed houses and log cabins are reclaimed. Lake logs etc. Reclaimed lumber is wood that had previously been used for something else, or wood that was lost and found.

IMHO

By Friday I hope to have an answer from them. I delivered a sample this morning of the base and pen. Didn't have a pencil kit on hand. Have to wait and see. Got a fellow, local woodworker doin' the bases and another one to help do the pens and pencils. Spread the wealth. Suffice it to say, I have to do 1099's on them.

Bruce