Question

David, I remember part of the thread you are talking about. It was a little strange, but many things on the internet are. I thought we were over it. I know I had forgotten about it.
I think I understand your reasoning in opening this thread the way you did. Although it's not something I would have done. Just don't blame those that kicked back at you when they see you coming in blasting them and an online community that they love. They were sticking up for it in the only way they could. It doesn't mean they can't forgive and forget and be glad for the positive content you can offer.

At the end of the day, a community, and this forum counts as one, needs members of all types, backgrounds and beliefs. Yes, sometimes things will happen that we don't approve of or appreciate. It's how we interact with each other that proves whether we are civilized, or just a bunch of hoodlums only interested in what we as individuals want. And in that vein, I'm glad you're back. Hopefully your future posts will be more positive than the way this one started out. Jim.

If you are so dang gummed happy at the "other place", then invite the ones you seem to like there. Man we are a family here, are you not watching what Larry, Tom, Toni and Bill are accomplishing on the Tour deWood. It isn't a gimmick, it is real life and one man's vision, Larry's, to show us all we take life and our internet way to serious, what is important is meeting, shaking hands, swapping stories, being face to face, eye to eye and enjoying the heck out of a person you had never met before but feel you have known for a lifetime. Charging bulls on my farm get castrated, fed out, then slaughtered! :eek: You are family, hope to meet you one day when I travel near. Would love to sit and talk with you, you have sounded interesting in your past posts. Stay or go, just be happy with yourself and your decision.

I belong to another forum where the founder does just that. He is really tolerant, but if someone insists on pushing the envelope, he deletes it with no warning. If they complain, he tells them very directly "It's my forum and my rules. If you don't like it, leave." I respect that and we get along very well.

And thats the BIG differance between this forum and any other forum I know of. The members own this forum not any one person, thats how it was established and that how it will remain. The Mods and Admins mearly work for the members and are charged with the orderly running of this place. I was one of the original 12 who got this place started and am proud of how it has evolved. All are welcome who don't abuse the rules but those who do are not welcome. It has been said that the wheels of justice turn slowly and thats because we don't make snap decisions here and no one person can pull the trigger on a thread or a member unless it is a grevious violation of the CoC. For some this may take to long but better to take your time and do it right then to rush into things and make a mistake in judgement. Nuff said, I'll get off of my pedistal

I agree David.. I am a member of many other forums for the past 15 years or so and this place hasn't been my first gig in moderation.... I am actually an admin on one site as well.... and none of them have the rules that are in place here, and none of them have the problems that are here.... granted at most of them there is a much better balance of men to women so maybe it's just that there are too many old political minded stuck in the mud men here to be able to let people hold themselves accountable for their actions ;)
whatever the reason, there *are* rules and as such it is up to the mods to uphold them... not such an easy task when there is nothing in place to really give them the power to do that...OR to deter people from acting like dimwits from time to time.
I don't believe things are all peachy as stated by another member but I believe a lot of people just plain decided it wasn't worth the hassle to worry about it anymore.
I would like to say that *I* personally have to thank you for bringing this to the front again so that *maybe* just maybe some things that had been forgotten and are now dusted off can be wrapped up and taken care of.

One more thing... and I will likely get myself censored for it but I am going to say it anyway...
I don't care who were one of the founding members... seriously...why does that have to put in people's face like it makes the founders better or more knowledgeable or more powerful than any other member?
I don't care why you feel your forum is so much better than every other one because it is member owned... it DOES NOT make you more special or more important than anyone else and the forum, though very probably is better than some out there, that is purely based on nothing more than a person's opinion... just because you personally don't like that *other* forum.... whatever the hell it is... doesn't mean it isn't a perfectly good forum for someone else.
I have had more online stress than I have had in YEARS since becoming a mod here.... but I did it because I am not the only one that gets a little miffed at the way things are done and I seem to be one of the few who isn't afraid to go against the grain and speak up about it, though I suspect a good portion of the members really just don't give a hoot because they come here to talk about woodworking and leave the drama to the rest. Yuppers I sure can just go ahead and leave, but there are good decent people here too..... so you weigh it out and decide what to do.

If you are so dang gummed happy at the "other place", then invite the ones you seem to like there. Man we are a family here, are you not watching what Larry, Tom, Toni and Bill are accomplishing on the Tour deWood. It isn't a gimmick, it is real life and one man's vision, Larry's, to show us all we take life and our internet way to serious, what is important is meeting, shaking hands, swapping stories, being face to face, eye to eye and enjoying the heck out of a person you had never met before but feel you have known for a lifetime. Charging bulls on my farm get castrated, fed out, then slaughtered! :eek: You are family, hope to meet you one day when I travel near. Would love to sit and talk with you, you have sounded interesting in your past posts. Stay or go, just be happy with yourself and your decision.

Well said Jonathan.

I think we need to remember our teachings on the care and feeding of trolls. Every entry in this thread feeds the intention of the author. JMHO.

I've stayed away from commenting on this thread, but when I see a good post, I have to acknowledge it. :clap:

I think we need to remember our teachings on the care and feeding of trolls. Every entry in this thread feeds the intention of the author. JMHO.

Glenn you are so right. This has nothing to do with what this site has prided itself on. Being unique. I have my fishin hat on and was thinkin about throwin my line out to do some trollin of my own, but I see storm clouds a brewin and it is time to head for shore. Best to throw this one back as it is too small to keep. :D

I don't recall the thread in question so I probably didn't read it. Being of Irish decent I'm ready for a good "discussion" just about anytime. :D I do agree with the intent and stated purpose of this fine forum. I don't consider myself pragmatic but I see the value of this in our case. We try to be civilized and act and talk like a family after all, and not a disfunctional one, at that.

I figure if I want to discuss something like politics, or religion with someone here then I can do that through e-mail. I actually see great value in these type of discussions, but not here in our public family.

I did participate on another forum were the off topic area was a free for all. Twice I posted an opinion regarding politics that seemed to result in the forum being completely shut down the following day. I guess they didn't like me quoting the US constitution. :D :wave: I guess the forum owners didn't like my position. While I didn't respect their decision, it was their choice, and they are the owners. I did and still do respect them however. Showing respect to others is a reflection on my own personal values.

I think that is the point of our family here. We demand that participants show respect for one another. Maybe you aught to pay a few family members a visit and toss back a few barley pops, and have a good ole verbal go around amongst FRIENDS, if that is your persuasion. It really isn't that hard to agree to disagree, and chose to value each person for what they contribute to WOODWORKING.

I haver learned a lot from the family and a few restrictions are no real bother.

So sad you feel that way...... Oh well, Tomorrow is another day and another will sign on to replace you. Sometimes you just have to get over it...:wave: