new project... done

Dan Noren

Staff member
well ladies and gents, this next project is a real corker.:D since i might be doing a craft show in the future, i figured it would be nice to have some sort of a display for the bottle stoppers.:thumb: the lumber in this one is coffeewood that i've had for some time now. planed it smooth, rough cut the disks on the band saw, and finished the edges on the spindle sander. the idea is to have 2 levels, the top one being the top tier in my pricing system, and the bottom level being shared by the middle and lower tier priced stoppers. sort of a lazy susan sort of affair. i still have to figure out the length of the 4 supports for the top level. to do that, i have to figure out the size of the spacers under the lower level, as the stoppers stick out just a bit under the board. no problem for the top level, but the bottom is a different story. i'm going to turn the supports out of some walnut off cuts (i just knew they'd come in handy), then glue the spacers, and the 3/4" pivot pin in place. then it's finish with blo and clear shellac. also, in keeping with my tradition of interesting wine labels, old fart, and old fart's wife for the angled bottle holders, and little penguin for the bottle and glasses holder, the wine in question for this project is an interesting little merlot, called norma jean. once you see the label, you'll understand.:D

Attachments

• base middle and top.JPG
    base middle and top.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 60
  • idea of how it goes together.JPG
    idea of how it goes together.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 74
  • wine for display.JPG
    wine for display.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Back where i came from we would say "Now youre cooking with gas" Sounds out of place in North America since propane and natural gas are so prolific here but there it meant you got the heat on and going like a Boeing.:D;):thumb:

Merchandising is what i would call that. Fine idea too.;)

more work done on the display today. designed and turned the four supports for the upper level. the walnut turned quite nicely. after adjusting the length and diameters of the tenons, assembled the display. after i got it home, took some pics, and hit it with the blo so i can get a jump on the shellac tomorrow.

Attachments

• display knocked together.JPG
    display knocked together.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 29
  • display loaded out with stoppers and wine.JPG
    display loaded out with stoppers and wine.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 36
  • display oiled.JPG
    display oiled.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 32
finished the shellac last night, and hit it with the wax this morning. another project in the books...:D:thumb:

Attachments

• shellaced and waxed.JPG
    shellaced and waxed.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 21
  • finished and loaded for a craft show.JPG
    finished and loaded for a craft show.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 27
Looking very nice there Dan. My only comment is the bottle label distracts the attention from the stoppers. But it sure will get attention and get the conversation going so maybe its a good thing. See how it goes.

It might get people looking over the stoppers after having had a look through to see whats on the bottle.:D

Looks good, Dan. :thumb: That ought to help sell some stoppers.

How does the BLO/shellac finish hold up on a pen after a few months of use? My experiences with shellac-based finishes (like Myland's Friction Polish) have looked great when done, but after they got handled for a while the finish lost its sheen. Exposure to water or alcohol also caused problems with the finish for me, too.