Some folks just wont listen.

Don Baer

Staff member
My neighbor is putting in cabinates in his garage. He got a great deal on some 3/4" partical board ($8/sheet). He borrowed some of my tools and I went over yesterday to see how he was doing. He had all of the carcases made. He has made 4 boxes two of them 4x8 and the two others 4x6 all 24" deep. While I was there I asked him if he was using glue on his butt joints on the boxes and he said he did on the first two but it was to much of a hastle so he quite. He is just using an air driven brad nailer to hold them together and said that he figured that 1 1/2 brads should hold fine. I reiterted about the glue but he said he would just use more brads.:eek:
We talked about the doors and he said he was going to use 5 hinges on the bigger ones and 4 on the smaller one. I talked him to use a good hard wood for the face frames. Well today he's doing the face frames and using more particle board and no glue. I wonder how long those 3/4" doors are gonna stay hung.:huh::dunno:

Maybe we should start a pool to see how long the doors stay on..:rofl:

I don't know how many times I've said to someone, I wouldn't do that if I were you.

I have burned a lot of those cheap cabinet parts in my wood stove. :D

I really like it when after putting a little weight on them, the shelves start looking like a banana. Or just spill a little liquid on them and watch them grow.

You might want to ask him if he wants a punch in the nose................the pain is over quicker. :rofl::rofl:

I really hope that they don't have an animal that might get hurt when they fail catastrophically. :dunno: The only way this could be "better" is if they plan to use said cabinets as storage for their fine china. :rofl:

I really hope that they don't have an animal that might get hurt when they fail catastrophically. :dunno: The only way this could be "better" is if they plan to use said cabinets as storage for their fine china. :rofl:

no these are just for storing garage stuff. Theyu don't have an animal but they do have 4 young children. I hope they stay clear.

As I mentioned to a fellow FWW member earlier today, "You have to learn from the mistakes of others, you don't have time to make them all yourself."

A letter to be taken to your neighbor.

Dear neighbor of Don's,

You are building Garage cabinets out of cheap material that Don has told you from experience needs glue to hold it together you will be very fortunate if these cabinets don't fail at the wrong time & collapse on someone (maybe your Children) & with the weight of things stuffed in them & the material they are made of hurting someone very bad. Even with good material you always always use glue. Not only that you will look very foolish & be very upset with yourself for all the labor you've put into this project & being to lazy to spend approximately 15-20 minutes to glue the whole project together. Think of this only 15-20 minutes & some good wood for face frames to make something sturdy & safe. If you can't spend enough time & money & effort to make it right & safe don't bother making it at all.

You think maybe they manufacture glue just for the exercise of manufacturing it? Glue is the most important part of building a project.

Dinozo slap, Dinozo slap, Dinozo slap

Last edited:
He don't need glue why wast it? He's building junk shelves out of junk materials so why wast good glue on them? There just gonna fall apart anyways. :thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

One of my earliest pieces - I was about 21 years old - was a full sized platform bed made of particle board. It was glued and nailed together, and painted black. It looked like the monolith in "2001 - a space odyssey", which was a new movie a few years before that. Anyway, I moved a year or so later, and found that a full sized monolithic bed, 2 feet high wouldn't go thru any door in the apartment. I had to smash it with a hammer to get the pieces out [and into the trash.] Anyway, just call your neighbor Stu.
Stu Pididiot.

At least this should be a self-correcting experience for him. The sad part is you'll probably get blamed for not advising him well enough, even though you did.

Oh Bart you are incredible. You get 5 stars for that letter to Dons neighbor.:rofl::rofl: I cannot stop laughing.

On a serious note while in my shop today this post made me think of my own case of stupidity.

I had previously done a glue up without protecting my clamps from glue. So today i had to clean it all up to use the clamps. Yeah i remember my friend who was with me at the time, we were gluing up his trailer panels and he said (just like Don to his neighbor) Rob dont you want to protect the clamps? Well i hated these cheapo clamps so much i just nahhh they will be fine. Yeah right, today i had to clean the dried glue off. This time i used some painter tape to cover them before doing a glue up.

I also remeber when i first got my pancake compressor and nail guns. Oh boy until coming to North America i had never seen one of those back in SA let alone used one.

I can tell you i was like a kid in the candy store. Nailing away in the basement everything and anything. Did use glue though and proper plywood.:rofl::rofl::rofl: