glueing melamine

If I wanted to glue two pieces of melamine at a right angle for a jig, would it be wise to rout a rabbet in the one piece to remove the melamine?

If so, will any router bit do the job or is there a special bit that should be used?

If I wanted to glue two pieces of melamine at a right angle for a jig, would it be wise to rout a rabbet in the one piece to remove the melamine?

If so, will any router bit do the job or is there a special bit that should be used?

let me first say that I don't work with melmine or any of those type of products. But I'd, definily do a rabbit and just use what ever bit I got that would do the job. Perhaps some of the guys who do production work will pipe in and tell you otherwise.

Don's right Mark you will have to rout a rabbet to remove the melamine. Regular glue will not stick to melamine it takes a special glue for that. Any router bit will work but make sure you have a dust mask and face shield on as it is a very dusty job to do. :eek:

Jay

And a dado will help me align two slots to be parallel if I reference the same edge to the router table fence. If I ultimately want one of the dadoes to be a rabbet, I can start with a dado for parallel alignment, then trim down to a rabbet with a bottom bearing bit, right?

When I was pumping out boxes I used gallons and gallons of Roo Glue. Actually I still use it all the time, and even use it on all-wood cases. The stuff is good for a lot more than Melamine, it provides a very strong bond that is unaffected by moisture on almost anything. Nice thing is it does not run, so when doing vertical glueups you don't have to worry about all the glue being at the bottom by the time you slip the parts together. Has a long shelf life as well. If you want to prefinish before assembly, its a must have.

Every shop should have some around.